Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with Russian propaganda leaflet

awesome ,,surrender leaflet.

Heavy defeat of the German troops in front of Rostov-on-Don and in the Domez basin..........

.........the red army guarantees all prisoners good treatment warm accommodation good food safe homecoming after the end of the war

is this rare and what kind of value Thanks guys,, never owned one
    Attached Files

Hi,

this leaflet was made for the Soviet forces counter-attack in November 1942, so this may value this leaflet to around 100 usd ?
    It is directly linked to the massive diseaster of Stalingrad.

Interesting item for sure !

See You

Vince

Comment

Thanks

thanks,,i'd like to put on estand for a fair price...just clueless on value

Comment

Hello Vince and birdie !

Indeed an interesting leaflet.
        But I think this refers to the battle for Rostow in November 1941, one year before the Stalingrad desaster.

While the German troops were able to capture Rostov in late November 41, they could not hold it against a
        massive counter attack by the Red Army. Opposite to what happened later so often, von Rundstedt allowed
        his troops to retreat. Therefore, 14. and 16. Pz.Div. and 60. ID(mot.) were not destroyed and did survive.
        (Before their final destruction in the cauldron at Stalingrad).

How much this influences the value of the leaflet I cannot say. It is nevertheless a document related
        to the first major success of the Red Armies' Winter offensive.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hello Archi,

you are totally right...
          I didn't check enough the location of the battle, and the inclusion of the "Wiking" was a bit suspicious to me to be from late 1942...

So yes, this flyer is then for late 1941.

In my opinion the rarity and interest for this early propaganda leaflet is similar as it would have been for a Stalingrad leaflet.

See You

Vince

Comment

this leaflet was wit it..late 41 also..

approx 6 x 8 1/2 's
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

another very nice flyer birdie !

Very nice, and as the other one, very early.

I checked the Volksbund website, some names of the said soldiers who surrendered to the Soviet forces do not appear in it, some names exist in multiple numbers, some names are of MIA soldiers in the early weeks of Barbarossa...
              Where those names invented, taken from dead soldiers's Soldbücher, or the ones of real POW ?

See You

Vince
              Last edited by FrenchVolunteer; 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Hello !

A very interesting question raised by Vince.
                (This could also be a nice little research project ... ).

I think propaganda works best, if it contains some truth, that gives the opposite side something to think about :
                From comparison with US propaganda in the West in late 1944, I would assume that at least a substantial amount
                of these names are correct.
                The US propaganda often tried to impress the German soldiers at that time, by displaying their very detailed knowledge
                from which strange mixture the combat units were composed of (Landesschützen, stomach ill (Magenkranke),
                Luftwaffen-Fliegerhorst etc.)

On the other hand, propaganda also exaggerates of course :
                I found a copy of a Soviet propaganda leaflet (scan), which must be produced at the same time as the first one shown above.
                The 7 arrows, displaying the 7 Red Army attacking divisions could be correct.
                But, as stated in the book by von Mackensen, Vom Bug zum Kaukasus, the German divisions were not destroyed.

The actual numbers of losses given in the book for the respective time frames are :
                29.11.41 - 2.12.41 : KIA 142 / MIA 128 / WIA 575
                06.11.41 - 2.12.41 : KIA 409 / MIA 147 / WIA 1839

That are much less than the 3000 KIA claimed in the leaflet. Nevertheless, this was a substantial and shocking defeat for the Wehrmacht.
                As a result, von Rundstedt was dismissed.

Best regards,

Archi
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Great information and very interesting,,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X