Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 Pz.Gren.Rgt. 8, 3. Pz.Gren.Div.

Guys,

I just picked up this nice EK1 citation for a Feldwebel in Panzergrenadier-Regiment 8, 3. Panzergrenadier-Division and I would very much like to hear what you think where Pigors could have won the award?

According to Hans Kramp (Rurfront 1944/45) the Division was sent to the Western Front by the middle of October 1944 saw heavy action east of Aachen. By the end of November 1944 it defended the town of Inden on the Roer river and was replaced by 246. VGD on November 30th. By that time the Division had suffered terribly and was moved to Bedburg for refreshment.
    Anthony Beevor mentions the 3. Panzergrenadier was moved to the Ardennes afterwards to participate in the "Battle of the Bulge" as a reserve unit. It was sent into combat on December 19th 1944 to support 277. VGD which kept attacking the towns of Rocherath and Krinkelt near Elsenborn.

Now, the citation is dated December 24 1944, which means it was clearly ISSUED in the Ardennes. But did Pigors earn the EK1 for FIGHTING in the Ardennes or rather for action between Aachen and the Roer river?

What do you think? Let me hear you opinion!

Best,

Matthias

Ps.: Document signed by Generalmajor Walter Denkert.
    Attached Files

Very difficult to say, as you know these awards could be awarded within a few days of an action, weeks or months. Also an EKI could be for several actions over time.

It's certainly not impossible that it's for actions during Wacht am Rhein
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I agree with Simon. My general rule for analyzing EK documents is that the time between the actions and award date is typically short, especially compared to combat awards like the IAB or GAB. Also, it is my opinion that the date on the EK document is almost always the date of the Vorschlagsliste, or original recommendation, and not the date the award was typed up or processed. That said, this EK award could be for a variety of possibilities.

This EK award could be for one significant action - for fighting at the Roer, near Aachen, or the Bulge. It could also be for multiple actions as Simon said as is the rule for EK1s - it could be for actions near the Roer AND the Bulge.

The Christmas Eve date also provides a clue or, in a way, causes more confusion. Awards were often processed when there was a lull in the fighting - when it was conducive for catch-up paperwork. In this case, Christmas Eve could be a good time to get awards processed. Additionally, there is certainly the possibility of an EK award coinciding with the Christmas holiday. I have seen plenty of awards processed around Christmas (especially Christmas Eve 1941 on the Russian Front), so it's entirely possible that the Christmas Eve date has a connection and is not a coincidence.

So, overall, I would lean towards this being a Wacht am Rhein award but it's just impossible to draw a concrete conclusion given the various possibilities. The fact that it is an EK1 actually clouds the water a bit given that it could be for multiple actions. Regardless of it all, it's a great document and a fine addition to your collection.

Brian

Comment

Thank you both for your opinion, much appreciated!

As I mostly deal with EK2 citations I totally forgot that EK1 were awarded for multiple action - and your conclusions are correct, it is of course very hard to tell whether it is a Aachen/Rhineland or Ardennes related document. But to be honest it doesn´t really matter to me as both topics are my main interest of collecting anyway. And given that the 3. Panzergrenadier-Division saw action in Western Germany from the middle of October to the end of November 1944 it is highly likely that Feldwebel Pigors proved himself EK1 worthy at least partly during the fightings near Aachen and the Roer, and maybe again during the "Bulge" (which would be the best case scenario for me, but we will never know). Italy and Eastern France might play a role as well, but I´d say if he only distinguished himself on these battlefields the document would be dated earlier.

Best!

Matthias

Comment

Hello !

Nice document presented by Matthias and Very interesting information provided by Simon and especially Brian R !
          Thanks to all !

Below is a map that shows the area of attack of the 3.Pz.Gren.Div., which started 20.12.44.
          The ubit of Fw. Pigors, Pz.Gren.Rgt 8, was deployed on the right wing, while Pz.Gren.Rgt. 29 was held in reserve.
          The attack was continued on 21. and 22.

After that date, the division went over to the defense. (Map from a FMS report by GenMaj. Denkert).
          It doesn't help to further clarify any of the questions, but it possibly shows the area of action of Fw. Pigors in Dec. 1944,
          so I thought it might be interesting.

Best regards,

Archi
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, Archi! I think I´ve got the Denkert report somewhere as well, I have certainly seen this map before...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X