Dick Pumphrey has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick Pumphrey has passed away

I submitted this to the Memoriam forum but thought I’d post it here too. Richard “Dick” Pumphrey passed away unexpectedly on the 7th of this month. 30 years ago I was 16 years old and knew nothing about TR collecting. Dick was a long time collector even 30 years ago and stayed in contact with some of the giants of KC holders and he was kind enough to invite me into his home and to put me in contact with them. I didn’t know he had passed till I called his house tonight and talked to his widow. I’ll miss him and owe so much to him. RIP Dick.

Joel

Sorry to hear this, and RIP. A very well known member of the collecting community.

Comment

Terrible news. Dick and I corresponded for years about KC Holder postcards. He was a real gentleman. I regret that we never met.

RIP Dick!

John

Comment

Hello Gentleman,
        This is Chris Pumphrey his son. Thank you for your kind words about my Father. He was a wonderful father, spouse and great friend. Very knowledgable. He will be missed. Again thank you.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ME109 View Post
          Sorry to hear this, and RIP. A very well known member of the collecting community.
          Thank you. Chris

Comment

Originally posted by InfanterieSammler View Post
            Terrible news. Dick and I corresponded for years about KC Holder postcards. He was a real gentleman. I regret that we never met.

RIP Dick!

John

Thank you so much for the kind words. Wish you could have met him as well.
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Der Texaner View Post
              I submitted this to the Memoriam forum but thought I’d post it here too. Richard “Dick” Pumphrey passed away unexpectedly on the 7th of this month. 30 years ago I was 16 years old and knew nothing about TR collecting. Dick was a long time collector even 30 years ago and stayed in contact with some of the giants of KC holders and he was kind enough to invite me into his home and to put me in contact with them. I didn’t know he had passed till I called his house tonight and talked to his widow. I’ll miss him and owe so much to him. RIP Dick.

Joel
              Thank you Joel for the many good thoughts and sharing this about my dad. Also thank you for your help with my mom.
              Chris

Comment

Shocking news… i corresponded many times with him.
                He helped me with my quest obtaining items from the estate of Hasso Von Manteuffel. He visited the general several times and was friends with him back in the days.
                A gentle and helpful member, a loss for the community.
                Thanks for everything Dick!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey View Post
                  Hello Gentleman,
                  This is Chris Pumphrey his son. Thank you for your kind words about my Father. He was a wonderful father, spouse and great friend. Very knowledgable. He will be missed. Again thank you.

Chris
                  Chris,
                  I’m sorry for your loss. You dad and I had talked about getting together recently, but sadly I didn’t get it done soon enough. I owe so much to your dad. As just a kid with a very limited amount of money, your dad went way out of his way to help me and teach me. There are a lot of less than honest people who are in this hobby and could have taken advantage of me, and some did, but not your dad. Because of your dad, I have my most cherished piece in my collection. A signed, inscribed, photo to me from Erich Hartmann. He and your mom were always so kind to me when I came over. I’m waiting for the post I made to be posted in the “In Memoriam” folder because it tells the story of your dad being given an Iron Cross from the Wehrmacht veteran it was awarded to after they had a few beers in pub over in Germany. Even though it was 30 years ago I can still see in my minds eye, the photo of your dad and the German soldier in that pub. Your dad, rightfully so, cherished that piece. As I told your mom, if y’all need anything please let me know. I’m planning on going by to see her when she is ready in the next few weeks or months. I’m with the Sheriff’s Dept. now but have a lot of free time on my hands, so as I said, please call (your mom has my number) if either of you need anything whatsoever. I hope to see you soon. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,
                  Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Nightstalker View Post
                    Shocking news… i corresponded many times with him.
                    He helped me with my quest obtaining items from the estate of Hasso Von Manteuffel. He visited the general several times and was friends with him back in the days.
                    A gentle and helpful member, a loss for the community.
                    Thanks for everything Dick!
                    Thank you for your kind words. He will be missed.
                    Chris Pumphrey

Comment

Originally posted by Der Texaner View Post
                      Chris,
                      I’m sorry for your loss. You dad and I had talked about getting together recently, but sadly I didn’t get it done soon enough. I owe so much to your dad. As just a kid with a very limited amount of money, your dad went way out of his way to help me and teach me. There are a lot of less than honest people who are in this hobby and could have taken advantage of me, and some did, but not your dad. Because of your dad, I have my most cherished piece in my collection. A signed, inscribed, photo to me from Erich Hartmann. He and your mom were always so kind to me when I came over. I’m waiting for the post I made to be posted in the “In Memoriam” folder because it tells the story of your dad being given an Iron Cross from the Wehrmacht veteran it was awarded to after they had a few beers in pub over in Germany. Even though it was 30 years ago I can still see in my minds eye, the photo of your dad and the German soldier in that pub. Your dad, rightfully so, cherished that piece. As I told your mom, if y’all need anything please let me know. I’m planning on going by to see her when she is ready in the next few weeks or months. I’m with the Sheriff’s Dept. now but have a lot of free time on my hands, so as I said, please call (your mom has my number) if either of you need anything whatsoever. I hope to see you soon. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,
                      Joel
                      Thank you so much for all of your kind words. He is an amazing man. I remember you coming over and he would tell me of your visits. I know of that picture. He was very Honored to receive that cross. He will be truly missed. Thank you for reaching out to my mom and posting this. Potter or Randall? My son is at Randall. Thanks again, Chris

Comment

Very sad news indeed.

We shared some corespondance years ago now concerning Knights Cross portrait postcards. His knowledge in this field was extremely impressive and he provided patient, and detailed help wherever he could.

RIP.

Regards Richard.
                        Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Shocked to read this, not chatted to Dick for a few years but we exchanged a lot of correspondence in the past regarding RKT, sharing photos, knowledge etc.

R.I.P. Dick, until we meet again.

/Ian
                          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorge64 View Post
                            Very sad news indeed.

We shared some corespondance years ago now concerning Knights Cross portrait postcards. His knowledge in this field was extremely impressive and he provided patient, and detailed help wherever he could.

RIP.

Regards Richard.
                            Thank you so much. That is the way he was. Very patient and willing to help you guys.
                            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                              Shocked to read this, not chatted to Dick for a few years but we exchanged a lot of correspondence in the past regarding RKT, sharing photos, knowledge etc.

R.I.P. Dick, until we meet again.

/Ian
                              Thank you Ian. We're all in shock. It is very difficult.
                              Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X