Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you seen this photo before?

Hello all,
    I hope it’s ok to post an image from a dealers website. I own the image but I do not have it in hand. This is a photo of a Russian Kommissar digging his own grave before being executed. It certainly is a period photo, and I believe a single “private” snapshot. The thing is, I feel I have seen this image before. I’ve searched the internet but have not been able to find other examples of this image. Any help appreciated.

-Joel
    Attached Files

The German text:

"Bolschewistischer Komisar der aus dem Hinterhalt schoß muß sein eingenes Grab
    schaufeln - am 11. Auguat 1941"

A Bolshevik commissar who shot from ambush has to dig his own grave - 11 August 1941

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
      The German text:

"Bolschewistischer Komisar der aus dem Hinterhalt schoß muß sein eingenes Grab
      schaufeln - am 11. Auguat 1941"

A Bolshevik commissar who shot from ambush has to dig his own grave - 11 August 1941

Gerdan
      Thank you, Gerdan. Merry Christmas!

-Joel

Comment

It looks like the soldier is a Gebirgsjäger, which, given the date would likely mean 1 or 4 Geb.Div.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, thank you for that information. Personally, I think this photo is somewhat historical and important even though it wasn’t much money and I want to learn everything I can about it. But then again, I know there are many similar images out of WWII.

Best wishes,
          Joel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X