Battle of the Bulge / 16 December 1944 - Show Your Death Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of the Bulge / 16 December 1944 - Show Your Death Cards

On the 74th anniversary of the of the Battle of the Bulge, it seems appropriate to post some material from that day.

I will share a few Death Cards I have from 16 December 1944. If you have any from this date, please feel free to share in this thread.

Best Regards,
    John

Here is one for Gefreiter Anton Zeiner who was killed near Höfen. This sector of the front fell under 6. Panzerarmee, more specifically the 326. Volksgrenadier Divison. He was mostly killed in action against the 99th US Infantry Division or members of the US 38th Cavalry Squadron.

*An interesting historical note, this battle saw the first use of the famous "Pozit" fuse in combat. The use of this proximity fuse caused enormous losses for the Germans.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another one from the 6.Panzerarmee, this time from the 277. Volksgrenadier Division. Obergefreiter Josef Niggl was killed at Hellenthal in the Eifel region. The 99th US Infantry occupied this area of the line, a unit with so little combat experience the division was jokingly referred to as the "Battle Babies." The 277. VGD was tasked to lead the initial attack towards the twin villages of Rocherath/Krinkelt, thus opening a hole for the 12. SS-Panzerdivision "Hitlerjugend." The fighting in those first few days was so intense, the 277.VGD would be pulled from the line and assuming a defensive positions by December 20th.

*Below are pictures of the memorial for the location of this battle between the 277.VGD and the US 99th Infantry Division.
      Attached Files

Comment

Another KIA on 16 December 1944, listed as “im Westen.” So not 100% he was KIA on the Ardennes front, it stands a good chance.

You will note several interesting details on this card, not the least of which is this soldier shares a name with the head of the Gestapo. He is also the recipient of the Honor Roll Clasp and Tank Destruction Badge!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to see some more death cards from 16 December.

Thanks,
          John

Comment

I have a sterbebilder for SS-Uscha. Joseph Grimminger who was killed in action 27.1.1945 south of St-Vith

Another like your gefallen im westen is SS-Uscha Toni Walter killed in action on 12.12.1944.

Both were members of SS-Pz.Rgt.1

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd I. View Post
              I have a sterbebilder for SS-Uscha. Joseph Grimminger who was killed in action 27.1.1945 south of St-Vith

Another like your gefallen im westen is SS-Uscha Toni Walter killed in action on 12.12.1944.

Both were members of SS-Pz.Rgt.1

Hi Lloyd,

I would love to see them. Please feel free to post some images.

Best,
              John

Comment

I would however I am no longer an association member. I would be happy to share them with you, just PM me.

Great idea for a thread and I applaud your research.

Comment

Thanks Lloyd. You don't have the PM option in your profile though. Perhaps only for paying members? Or you disabled?

Best,
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd I. View Post
                    I would however I am no longer an association member. I would be happy to share them with you, just PM me.

Great idea for a thread and I applaud your research.
                    just use IMGBB and upload them as a full code.

Comment

Originally posted by InfanterieSammler View Post
                      Another KIA on 16 December 1944, listed as “im Westen.” So not 100% he was KIA on the Ardennes front, it stands a good chance.

You will note several interesting details on this card, not the least of which is this soldier shares a name with the head of the Gestapo. He is also the recipient of the Honor Roll Clasp and Tank Destruction Badge!
                      This is actually the best example what happened to the rest of veterans that were still able to fight.. wasted them in west of Europe after wasting the best in east. Crazy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X