ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group of docs related to Finland (1918/19), Southern Russia and Italy (1944/45)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group of docs related to Finland (1918/19), Southern Russia and Italy (1944/45)

Hello !

Here is a small group of documents of a soldier who served in WW I and WW II and also spent
    some time in POW units in Italy after the end of WWII.

The most surprising doc was the : Erinnerungsmedaille des Freiheitskrieges 1918

It seems to be issued by the war ministery of Finland, but it is written in German.
    I would really like to know, to what actions this document is related.
    Is it for fighting during WW I, or immediately after (e.g. some Freikorps actions) ?
    I would also like to know, whether this is a very common document (like the Ost-medaille),
    or something unusual.

There is also a photo, showing some German soldiers. There is no date, but some of the shoulder boards
    have a "14" on it, so I would assume that this shows perhaps him and some of his comrades of Jäger-Btl. 14 ?!

Any info, any hint on this or pointing to literature or a link explaining this, would be really appreciated .
    Attached Files

The next group of docs is related to his service in WW II :
    He must have served in Brückenbau-Btl. 560. This unit was in Southern Russia under 1. Pz.Armee in 1941/42.
    In late 1943/44, it served under AOK 6 and later it was transfered to Italy.

I had hoped, that the KVK2 w/swords would have an handwritten signature of Gen.Oberst Hollidt, but after
    a closer look, I assume it is only stamped. Any oppinions on this would be helpful.

The Ostmedaille Award doc is signed by a Major, whose signature I cannot read. If anyone could make a guess
    on his name, that would be appreciated !

One strange point is, that the Ostmedaille document mentions him as Stabsgefreiter, so I would assume, that this one
    is issued only after the KVK 2, although the date is 15.7.1942.
    So, could it be a rather late awarded Ostmedaille ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Last topic are some documents, related to his service after the end of WW 2 :
      He seems to have served in a Bomb Disposal platoon. Anyone knows what his task could have been ?

On 20.Oct.1945, he had to hand in 5400 Lire, which should have been exchanged into the corresponding value of Reichsmark.
      I would assume, that this a sign that he would released and sent home very soon afterwards ?

Any comments/infos would be really appreciated !

Best regards,

Archi
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
        Last topic are some documents, related to his service after the end of WW 2 :
        He seems to have served in a Bomb Disposal platoon. Anyone knows what his task could have been ?

On 20.Oct.1945, he had to hand in 5400 Lire, which should have been exchanged into the corresponding value of Reichsmark.
        I would assume, that this a sign that he would released and sent home very soon afterwards ?

Any comments/infos would be really appreciated !

Best regards,

Archi
        Very nice group. It would be really interesting to know which unit he was captured in Italy. He was released from the Rimini enklave in October 1945 (as evidenced by the reference of his work for the Allies and the doc of his lire which was used to demonstrate possession .It is difficult to trace back to his unit of work, the Bomb disposal platoon, it was almost certainly a unit service of the RAF inside the Rimini Miramare airport

Ciao Oriano

Inviato dal mio SM-G903F utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Hello Oriano !

Many thanks for the interesting info !

The easiest assumption would be, that he served in Pi.-Brückenbau-Btl. 560 at the end:
          http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...auBtl560-R.htm
          However, the various companies were serving under different army HQs in March 1945.

I don't know if it helps, but the last document is stamped by FPN 07106, which I think was
          an administrative HQ of 157 Reserve-Div., finally 8. Geb.-Div.

Thanks and best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hello Oriano !

Many thanks for the interesting info !

The easiest assumption would be, that he served in Pi.-Brückenbau-Btl. 560 at the end:
            http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...auBtl560-R.htm
            However, the various companies were serving under different army HQs in March 1945.

I don't know if it helps, but the last document is stamped by FPN 07106, which I think was
            an administrative HQ of 157 Reserve-Div., finally 8. Geb.-Div.

Thanks and best regards,

Archi
            interesting Italy late war unit! thanks! ciao Oriano

Comment

Hello !

Nobody with any ideas or info for what actions or on what circumstances
              this Finnish document was awarded ?
              Any hint, link, etc. would be appreciated !

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Archi

Comment

Jäger-Battalion 14 was German expeditionary corps numbered around 1000 men out of 14000 men of "Die Ost-See Division", that was sent to Finland in spring of 1918 to help white Finns against the reds. They played a major role in taking Helsinki from red guards.

Comment

Hello !

Nobody with any ideas or info for what actions or on what circumstances
                  this Finnish document was awarded ?
                  Any hint, link, etc. would be appreciated !

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Archi
                  Hi,

this is a document for the Liberation War Medal. In 1919 Finnish War Ministry has send 14648 medals to Germany asking German authorities to distribute them.

Medals were awarded for participation in the Liberation War, not for any special action. Most of them were awarded to the soldiers of Ostsee-Division, led by General Rüdiger von der Goltz.

reagrds
                  Tomasz
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tompress; 12-17-2018, 03:41 AM. Reason: Add pi

Comment

Hello Panzerzug 51 and tompress !

Many thanks for the interesting info on the Jäger-Btl. 14 and the additional details
                    (also for showing the corresponding medal !).

With both of your help I found now the link to the Ostsee-Division. Very interesting read,
                    I didn't know about that.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X