Large private photo of Hitler and friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large private photo of Hitler and friends

This photo was in an "Adolf Hitler" cigarette book. It's printed on Agfa Bavaria paper and I believe it's fairly early. An antique dealer friend of mine picked it up yesterday at an antique show I attended. He bought it separately from the book. It is quite large being about 10x12" but shows a bit of blurryness as Hitler moved slightly when it was taken. I have a feeling this was taken at the eagles nest.

Any ideas who the people might be given that both women are wearing apron's, are they servants...and who's the other man?

I also find the photo interesting in that Hitler's hair is standing up so.
    Attached Files

Goering...

...to me the man on the right...looks like a youngish Goering?

Comment

The man on the right is, I believe, Wilhelm Bruckner.

Comment

I believe the chap on the right of the photograph is Wilhelm Bruckner, Hitlers adjutant ... fired from Hitlers service October 1940. The other two ladies, dressed in traditional Bavarian costume ..... as worn by the serving staff/maids at the Berghof?

Comment

Looks like the photo was taken on the terrace of the Berghof ... with the conservatory windows in the background?

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Especially on who the fellow might be. I thought it was at the Berghof.

Comment

I agree with hadrian bruer on both counts. Hitler's senior SA Adjutant, SA-Gruppenführer Wilhelm Brückner, and probably a couple of domestic servants with The Boss on the Berghof terrace. Very nice on a bright and sunny day.

Br. James

Comment

My friend has asked me to thank you all.

Adding the new information to his sales tag helped sell the photograph.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                  I agree with hadrian bruer on both counts. Hitler's senior SA Adjutant, SA-Gruppenführer Wilhelm Brückner, and probably a couple of domestic servants with The Boss on the Berghof terrace. Very nice on a bright and sunny day.

Br. James
                  It is indeed Wilhelm Brückner, but I think you'll find he was Hitler's Chief Personal Adjutant, not his SA Adjutant, until 1940 when he was fired and succeeded by Julius Schaub.
                  The photo was taken outside the Wintergarten of the Berghof, on the terrace. The two girls do not resemble housemaids at the Berghof. The apron was part of Bavarian traditional dress and the girls could quite possibly be visitors to the house.
                  Interestingly, Hitler appears in desperate need of a haircut. This is unusual as his personal barber, August Wollenhaupt, attended him at the Berghof, and at other field locations, on a regular basis.
                  Max.

Comment

Thanks for this, Max. I am aware that Brückner was Hitler's Chief Personal Adjutant during the years prior to his being relieved of this duty and sent to the Army, and my assumption was that he was also the senior SA Adjutant at that time, just as Schaub was the SS Adjutant and Albert Bormann was the NSKK Adjutant. Schaub was always in the background to Brückner, but when Brückner was fired, Schaub stepped in to the "Chief Personal Adjutant" slot and held onto it until the end.

Br. James

Comment

I think you are mistaken. Schaub was never Hitler's SS Adjutant. He was an adjutant by reason of his NSDAP status and was accorded SS rank as a result, not the other way around. Brückner was Schaub's predecessor as a member of the Party, not his position in the SA. Hitler had several adjutants, but his Wehrmacht Adjutants were the only service adjutants. The remainder held ranks (according to their status) in various Party organisations and functions.
                      Max.

Comment

I see...so there was no specific "SA Adjutant" or "SS Adjutant" or "NSKK Adjutant;" these were only individuals who happened to hold ranks in those political organizations?

Br. James

Comment

There were SS Ordnance Officers (such as Ludwig Balls), valets (such as Heinz Linge), junior adjutants (such as Max Wünsche & Otto Günsche) Himmler's SS Liaison Officers (such as Karl Wolff & Hermann Fegelein)...all members of the SS. To name a few.
                          Alwin-Broder Albrecht was a naval officer and NSKK member.
                          Karl Jesko Puttkamer was his Naval Adjutant.
                          Nicolaus von Below was his Luftwaffe Adjutant.
                          Gerhard Engel & Rudolf Schmundt were Heer Adjutants.
                          There were others of course.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response, Max...most helpful, as always. You have enabled me to better understand this historic detail.

With all good wishes for the coming holidays,

Br. James

Comment

Just a small note to possibly help alleviate confusion ..

An Ordonnanzoffizier did not work with ordnance or weaponry, etc. He was simply an aide/assistant.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X