Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kc Holder ??

Friends,

I am curieus if the officer on this photo is wearing a knights cross or not??
    The outer ends aren't straight so I am inclined to say it is not a knights cross.
    Can anybody help me out??

On the back is something written in old german, and as far as i can make out it says....

Unser Rgts kommandeur
    Oberstleutnant He..L

Peter
    Attached Files

-

I guess he is wearing a Pour le Mérite from the WW1.

Comment

Please post the back. If I can read his name that may clarify things.

It may be a Commander grade of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order from WW1-- given to Majors. He looks old enough to have been called back as an Oberstleutnant zV.

Comment

OK Rick,

My scanner isn't the best in the world, but here's a scan of the back of the pic.
        I hope it will help.

Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello ,

i read " unser Regimentskommandeur Oberstleutnant Heusel "

Comment

I saw this photo on ebay and almost bid on it.. The auction had it as an RK but it didn't look right... Nice photo

Comment

Hmmm... if only this had been dated, and with a unit! A BRANCH of service, beyond simply what looks like dark piping on his cap, would have DEFINITELY identified him, since of the three possible "suspects," each belonged to a different arm of service.

His name was "Hensel." Although there is no difference in the way the letters "n" and "u" are written (as in "Oberstleutnant" here-- without the little curlicue normal over handwritten "u"s) there was nobody named "Heusel" in the Imperial army.

I would say this fellow was AT LEAST 60...

there are three possibles for "Hensel"

1) an infantry officer formerly Inf Rgt 60, (E) 1930s, Oberst (S) 1.8.43 #46a1... but he was a Wehrbezirkskommando officer and NOT a "regimental commander."

2) a pioneer officer formerly in Pio Bn 20, (E) 1930s, Oberst (S) 1.12.42 #6... but he was on OKH Fortress Inspectorate staff and NOT a "regimental commander" either.

Or

3) a former Feld Art Rgt 9 officer who transferred to the Schutztruppen Southwest Africa for the Herero-Hottentot War 1904-06 and REMAINED there until returning as a POW after WW1:

Sekondeleutnant 17.6.93
              Oberleutnant ernannt 22.4.02, final seniority 12.9.02
              Hauptmann 20.4.10
              Major retroactive to 1915 after return from captivity
              charakterisiert Oberstleutnant aD on discharge circa 1920

known alive in 1926.

This final fellow would have been born about 1872, making him about 70 in WW2. He held the Prussian Crown Order 4X, Red Eagle Order 4, XXV Years Service Cross, 1904-06 SWA Campaign Medal, and 1897 Centenary Medal as of 1914. All German troops in SW Africa had surrendered by the end of 1915.

NONE of them had a Pour le Merite, and the first two were too young to have had any Imperial German Order commander grade. I find no record of one for the last suspect either, so what it is remains a question. I think I see a crown over it, but that may be part of its ribbon.

"Hensel" is certainly his name, and these are the only possible people named that. Closest possibility would seem to be the ex-colonial forces officer, called back zur Verfügung for WW2, circa 1939/40 in an artillery training regiment or something like that.

Comment

Peter,
                could you try posting a closeup of the order?

Regards
                Chris

Comment

WOW guys,

Thanks for all the info so far. I will try and send a close-up of the medal.

Peter

Originally posted by webr55
                  Peter,
                  could you try posting a closeup of the order?

Regards
                  Chris

Comment

As I said with the scanner i have this is the best I can do.

Sorry,

Peter
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X