GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volksartillerie-Korps 388, EK1 with Begründung!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volksartillerie-Korps 388, EK1 with Begründung!

Guys,

I just picked up this awesome little set of EK citations which belonges to a Leutnant and includes an EK1 document with Begründung!

Leutnant Karkoschka was a menber of schwere Artillerie-Abteilung 557 in early 1944 and earned his EK2 while fighting in Italy (Frosinone/Cassino area) under command of Panzerkorps XIV. The document is signed by General der Panzertruppe Fridolin von Senger und Etterlin.
    Towards the end of 1944 Leutnant Karkoschka was transferred to I. Abteilung [antitank, as far as I am informed] of the newly formed Volksartillerie-Korps 388 which exclusively saw action on the Western Front (Ardennes, Rhineland). Here, Karkoschka distinguished himself numerous times and finally was awarded the EK1 about two months before the end of the war! The reasons for the awarding are noted on the back of the citation and give a very good idea about Karkoschkas character as an officer. I took the time to translate it for you as I could imagine some of you find it just as interesting as myself ([ ] = comments made by me):

"During the American attack on Lindern north of Linnich on Nov 21st 1944 Leutnant Karkoschka and his crew effectively fought against and pinned down the in superior numbers approaching enemy infantry with small arms until it was possible to fetch a gun [I assume artillery of antitank] left behind in no man´s land.

2. On Feb 27th 1945 he led the defensive infantry combat against the approaching Americans at Chur [near Mönchengladbach] under heavy fire until the combat vehicles of the staff could carry out the ordered change of position.

3. On March 6th 1945 he directed the fire of a gun as an observer in such a way that the observation point in the tower of the railway bridge Oberkassel [near the city of Düsseldorf] and a heavy machine gun in it were neutralized."

These statements do not only allow us to follow the way of Volksartillerie-Korps 388 through the Rhineland area precisely, but they also show Karkoschka as a very energetic, determined and brave frontline officer.
    The EK1 document itself is signed by Oberst Wolf Ewert, Kommandeur of 338. ID, to which the Korps obviously was subordinated to in the time. The Begründung on the back is signed/confirmed by Abteilungskommandeur Hauptmann Werner Timm.

To me a VERY special grouping that fits into my collection perfectly!

Best,

Matthias
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matthias_AC; 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM.

Really nice, Matthias. This would be a dream set for me to have too. Great presentation and research and I’m glad it was made it into your collection given your particular interest in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
      Really nice, Matthias. This would be a dream set for me to have too. Great presentation and research and I’m glad it was made it into your collection given your particular interest in the area.
      Thanks Brian, I knew you would like it!

By the way, this citation came from the same source: EK2 for a soldier of Grenadier-Regiment 751, 326. VGD. Most likely awarded for action in the St. Vith area (Ardennes), just after the retreat had started (again). Signed by Generalmajor Erwin Kaschner, Kommandeur 326. VGD.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by matthias_AC View Post
        Guys,
        I just picked up this awesome little set of EK citations which belonges to a Leutnant and includes an EK1 document with Begründung!

Hi Matthias,

A very cool set. With a "Begründung", it becomes a fantastic set!

Best,
        John

Comment

Originally posted by matthias_AC View Post
          By the way, this citation came from the same source: EK2 for a soldier of Grenadier-Regiment 751, 326. VGD. Most likely awarded for action in the St. Vith area (Ardennes), just after the retreat had started (again). Signed by Generalmajor Erwin Kaschner, Kommandeur 326. VGD.

Matthias,

If this is indeed a "Bulge-related" award, you can consider that GR 751 was heavily involved in the fighting around Höfen/Monschau from 16-18 December too. Another nice one!

John

Comment

Originally posted by InfanterieSammler View Post
            Matthias,

If this is indeed a "Bulge-related" award, you can consider that GR 751 was heavily involved in the fighting around Höfen/Monschau from 16-18 December too. Another nice one!

John
            John, glad you like the documents too! But I would have been surprised if it was different...

You're absolutely right about the 326nds engagement in the Monschau area. However, I don't think Glinke was awarded the EK2 for that action. By the end of January 1945 the Division was sent to the border area south of St. Vith to support the 62nd VGD (and I believe the 18th VGD as well). In my opinion Glinke distinguished himself here, based on the date of the awarding.

Best!

Matthias

Comment

I can only echo the other comments, a very nice pair of documents. Many thanks for posting.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Very interesting pieces. Thanks for showing.

Regards
                Sonnenwende

Comment

Hello Matthias !

Really a great group !
                  I like especially the EK 1 doc explaining the actions in detail for which he was awarded it.
                  During the Battle of the Bulge, the VAK 388 was attached to 6. Pz.Armee and on 31.12.44 to II. SS-Pz.Korps.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

I agree, VERY NICE documents indeed ! Tom

Comment

Thanks for your comments boys, I am glad you appreciate an interesting piece of history!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X