Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1776 German letter????

Hi all:
    I picked up a couple of hand-written letters (in beautiful handwriting script) from Germany recently, but the lettering is so old and ....bizarre, I'm not really sure if it's German or not. There are only a couple of words I believe I recognize. Thinking it might be Italian, I checked with an Italian friend and he believes it is a very old, Latin-based German. The present-day German word for April is...April, but on the letter it is 'Aprilis. 1776'. The hand-scrolled name at the end of both letters is 'J. Weimer' which sounds like a fairly German-sounding name!!
    What I'm showing is the first section of one of the letters. It actually folds open to eight times the size of what's shown on which there is other writing.
    If you can verify the language, or better yet, help me with the translation I'd sure appreciate it. If anyone can help, I could send the rest of the letter by e-mail for you to translate.
    Thanks...Ernst
    Attached Files

It is definately german language, at that times, as far as I know mixed up with french.
    The certain document starts with "Kauf Brief / Ein Stück Felds..." which means it is a certificate for having bought a part of a field. I also can see the name Cathari//na Dorothea geborene (name when born) Marx. Aprilis for sure is an "old form" of april.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X