Propaganda post cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propaganda post cards

Guys does anyone collect Third Reich propaganda post cards? My buddies’ father brought back all kinds of good stuff from the war. We were going through it a while back and he has about 280 different postcards. His father told us when he was part of the occupation force they collected these like baseball cards. They would trade each other and try to collect as many different ones as they could. His father thinks it a complete set, but how could you tell that? Anyway my friend does not collect and has already given me a lot of free stuff. He told me if I want them just give him what I think they are worth. I don’t want take advantage of him. What would something like this be worth?

I do. The difficulty in setting a value is location; Europe is different from the US. I even contacted Roger Bender of Bender Publishing; publisher of the beautiful set of books 'Postcards of Hitler's Germany' Vol I, II and III - and he said the same; no one has undertaken such an arduous task. It all depends on the cards, the cancellations, if it was used (feldpost or no), condition, the list goes on and on. I would be glad to assist in research if I have the time - I have a few books on the subject and can probably point you to what sites have similar cards and what they are going for....

Lisa

Originally posted by NTZ
    Guys does anyone collect Third Reich propaganda post cards? My buddies’ father brought back all kinds of good stuff from the war. We were going through it a while back and he has about 280 different postcards. His father told us when he was part of the occupation force they collected these like baseball cards. They would trade each other and try to collect as many different ones as they could. His father thinks it a complete set, but how could you tell that? Anyway my friend does not collect and has already given me a lot of free stuff. He told me if I want them just give him what I think they are worth. I don’t want take advantage of him. What would something like this be worth?

Comment

You might want to take a look at my propaganda postcard thread that shows a portion of my personal collections as well as contributions from numerous fellow forum members.

I shall bump my thread to the top for your perusal.

Comment

I would be pleased to assist in advising general values for your material. In the past 40 years, I have handled thousands of cards and can generally guage the range of values. I'm always prepared to see something I haven't seen before. I'm far from being jaded.

When a reference work is published as the aforementioned Bender series or the Alf Harper works on the philatelic history of 1933-45 Germany, collector interest is stirred and values tend to rise.

As a general rule of thumb, the color cards as illustrated in my thread tend to be the top value items due to their graphic intensity and ability to portray in dramatic fashion elements of the NS period.

Scarcity, as in any collector field, also plays a part. Oddly enough, strict Feldpost items are typically of middling value unless you get into the better Inselpost items. Feldpost cards are usually had in the under 40-50USD range.

The best items will be color NS political items, especially Reichsparteitage, party organizations such as SS, SA, NSDAP, NSKK, NSFK etc. As mentioned above black and white cards will be priced dramatically less than the color.

I'm most interested in seeing what you have and hope you can post representative items from the collection.

Ramon
        Last edited by ramon; 04-07-2005, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I also collect propaganda cards, although I'm not in the same league as fellow collectors' such as Ramon.

My main interest is/are Wolfgang Willrich cards and would be interested in seeing any you have from this particular artist.

Kevin

Comment

Ramon, Can you post the link to your thread?

Thanks!

Comment

I am going to see if I can get a handful and post some photos. They are all B&W and 98% are photos of Hitler, SS honor guards, party rallies and the like. I didn’t see and that had postmarks, they all seemed to be unused. As for condition, they were all in pristine condition. The boxes we went through were pretty much untouched for the last fifty-five years.

Comment

I have bumped my thread to the top today and it can easily be accessed.

Enjoy!!!!

Did I hear someone mention they like Willrich. I have a very representative collection of Willrich cards that I would be pleased to scan and post if there is interest.

Cheers!!

Comment

Ramon,

Yes please!

I only need 15 to complete my collection of known Willrich cards, as per the Wolfgang Willrich, War Artist, book by Klaus Peters. Unfortunately, these few are proving very difficult to locate.

The remaining cards come from both the general 'E' and Deutscher Blutadel series.

Kevin

Originally posted by ramon

Did I hear someone mention they like Willrich. I have a very representative collection of Willrich cards that I would be pleased to scan and post if there is interest.

Cheers!!

Comment

What Willrich issues would you like to see first??

Comment

Ramon,

The ones I'm missing are:

P1 R5 Nr.7 - Leading engineer Officer on Schuhart's sub.

P1 R5 Nr.9 - Helmsman on submarine

P1 R6 Nr.4 - Feldwebel Jacob
                      P1 r6 Nr.6 - Reconnaissance squad leader in snowsuit

E7 - Mountain trooper at the English Channel

E8 - SS Oberfuhrer Keppler

E10 - SS Hauptscharfuhrer Kepplinger

E26 - Kesselring

E48a, b, c & d - Femal signals helpers

E49 - Hanna Reitsch

Deutscher Blutadel

P14 Nr.43 - Daughter of the artist

P14 Nr.44 - Farm child from Luneburg Heath

P14 Nr.46 - Nursing Mother

P14 Nr.62 - Gerda at 3 years old (artists daughter)

Kevin

Originally posted by ramon
                      What Willrich issues would you like to see first??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X