Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermann Göring sparbuch

Hello,

I'm sharing pics of my new find: a Hermann Göring sparbuch.
    It was given to child of KIA pilot of the luftwaffe for Christmas of the year of death.
    Mine is opened in 1941 and pilot's name is Westermann

The only one who died in 1941 was oberleutnant Erich Westermann, from 3./KG 40.
    He's killed on 15th june 1941, while attacking a convoy who left Gibraltar the day before to Liverpool. He was hit by anti-aircraft artillery from ships, he blew in the sky and pieces fell down on Portugal. No crew survived (they were 6 on board).

The booklet is in very good shape, A5 size.
    Attached Files

Last 2.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nicely filled out and clean HG Sparbuch ... would love to have have one in my collection, but has eluded me for years ... congratulations on acquiring this great piece of history!

Comment

Hi Bob, thank you for your comment.

After being helped with the first name, it appears to be Ernst-Christian Westermann. So the story is a bit different finally...
        Ernst-Christian Westermann was a regierungsrat (= major), a civilian meteorologist employed by the luftwaffe in the wekusta 5 (which was in Trondheim, Norway). His plane, a Ju88 had engine failure and icing, and Westermann had to bail out. He didn't survive the landing with its parachute. He died on 21st december 1941, exactly the day the sparbuch is opened.

Greg.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X