ID Help, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Help, Please

Hi, does anyone know whose funeral this may be and where the photo has been taken?

Thanks for your help.

Graeme
    Attached Files

I have been doing a bit of digging on this for ages now and have come up with this so far.

The building is now called the Neue Wache and has been the central memorial of the FDR since 1993. It is on the Unterlinden in Berlin.

The building was built between 1816-1819 for Wilhelm III as a memorial for those who fell in the Napoleonic Wars. From 1818-1918 the Royal Guard was housed in this building. In 1931 Heinrich Tessenow created a Memorial for those who fell in the Great War here.

Under Hitler the building was turned into a Reich Memorial called the Reichsehrenmal. The old interior was replaced by a rather morbid 'Hall of the Dead'. The funeral processions of German Generals stopped by this memorial on the way to their final burial.

After the war the Soviets re-opened the building in 1960 as a memorial to the victims of facisism and militarism. The memorial was guarded by an honour guard of the NVA until 1990.

The list I have so far of German Generals buried in Berlin between 1936 and 1942 is;

Reinhard Heydrich - June 1942
    Werner Moelders - Nov 1941
    Fritz Todt - Feb 1942
    Ernst Udet - Nov 1941
    Werner Von Fritsch - Sep 1939
    Hans von Seekt - Dec 1936

I think I can rule out Autumn and Winter funerals as the trees are too green.

Graeme
    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X