Schörner, Dietl and?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon orchard
    A GJ RK and DK winner who fought in Norway\Finland, sounds interesting. Who is it? There weren't many and even fewer still alive.
    Simon, he is a personal friend and I'm not going to give his name away.I have a few pictures of him which I may put on here at some point in the future.He knew Dietl personally.However I will give you an anecdote.Last month he gave me a picture of him leading his men through Paris in 1940, and I asked him who took the parade?-I myself could not remember, and he said to me it would have been the "Kommandant Paris".He is obviously a very old man now and could not remember.Next day I remembered it was Georg Von Kuechler.When I told him, his face lit up and he said (in german) "yes it was Georg Von Kuechler-a good man, in fact I worked with him later in Russia" -not bad eh?
    The photographs he gave me is personally inscribed to me, which I'm not showing because I know how distinctive the medals are and how much they give away.

Comment

I fully understand David, No problems. From what you've said so far he clearly moved between units. As you've already said he's a GJ RK and DK winner the medals won't give away any more really, his rank and his face would though as all the GJ RK and DK winners are quite well documented.

All the best

Simon
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon,

When I see him again, I'll ask him if it's ok to give out details.Unfortuately he doesn't have anything left of his medals/uniform, but it will be nice to get some personal details but my German is limited.He did tell me Berlin was the worst, and he mentioned something about sending 400 men to a railway station in Berlin.He said they thought they were going on holiday, but they went to their deaths sadly.

Comment

The pic posted by Paal is likely to be Wintergerst, as XIX GEB Corp seemd to have only three main divisions when Schoerner was Corp Kmdr.

Just a guess, from left:
          Andrea Nielsen
          Wintergerst
          Dittmar
          Tittel
          ??
          Harmjanz
          Riediess

Cheers
          Elwyn

Comment

schorner etc

Hi Elwyn,Simon is correct about Wintergerst,
            as he is the same officer that is in Schorner,
            by Roland Kaltenegger,it is a small photo but
            def him.Nice one Simon!
            Regards Harmel

Comment

Originally posted by Samba66 View Post
              Another size.
              Our man is Karl Wintergerst.

Cheers,

Jaime

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
              X