Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schörner, Dietl and?

Hi!

Who is the unknown general on this picture? Anyone who knows where the picture is taken?

Best regards
    Paal
    Attached Files

Another size.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paal!

The pic bears more than a passing resemblance to General der Gebirgstruppe Ferdinand Jodl (shown here as a Generalleutnant, I believe).

Regards,

Comment

Im not too sure it's Jodl. Close for sure but the photos i've seen of him around the time (1943) he's wearing a Finnish cross around his neck and tends to wear a ribbon bar. He also has quite a distinctive rounded face.

I'm wondering wether it could be Generalleutnant Franz Rossi? I don't have a photo of him and don't know if he was awarded the DKiG though i'm afraid, but he was one of the general officers in the area of the XIX Geb.Korps and needs to be looked at.

The Admiral between them may be Konteradmiral Werner Stichling Kommandant der Seeverteidigung at Kirkenes.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks both of you. I don't think it's Jodl, either. Have not seen Rossi, so i can't say anything on that.

Best regards
          Paal

Comment

Hi Simon!

I too have never seen a pic of Rossi, but unfortunately it can't be him. Rossi received the DKiG on 2. July, 1944, whereas Dietl was killed in the air-crash on 23. June, 1944. F. Jodl received the Finnish Cross on 20. Feb., 1944, so that wouldn't rule him out on that account.

Regards,
            Last edited by V. J. Kursietis; 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi!

Could it be Gen.lt Hans Degen or Christian Philipp?

Regards
              Paal

Comment

No it's not Christian Philipp, he was quite a thin guy. The award date for the DK rules out Rossi, it must have been posthumous as Rossi, along with Eglseer were killed on the same plane as Dietl. It has to be '42 or '43 because Schörner left the area in Oct. '43, that rules out Degen too.

We're all thinking DKiG, but what about DKiS? There's at least one general grade officer in Norway who had it around the right time frame. Generalleutnant Ernst Goettke, Höher Küsten-Artillerie-Kommandeur Nord, awarded Feb.'43
                Could someone look up Generalleutnant Karl Wintergerst, commander of the 210 Inf.Div. and see if he had the DK?

As it stands then, Jodl is the best 'fit' at the moment.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Schorner ,dietl ?

Hi can confirm Ferdinand Jodl -he did not recieve the KC till 13/1/1945.

The picture must have been taken after April 1943.

Regards Harmel

Comment

How can you confirm that it's Jodl, Harmel?

Comment

Simon,
                      I think it's not Goettke. He looks considerably different in the General's bios.
                      However, Wintergerst looks promising: DKiG 16.1.1942, no RK. AND: He had the Hohenzollern House Order from WW1. I admit it's not very clear to see, but to me it seems that the unknown general in the photo is wearing not an EK with Spange, but a Hohenzollern House Order from his buttonhole.
                      If that were correct, that would also rule out Jodl, who did not have the Hohenzollern.

Regards
                      Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris! Perhaps we're starting to home in on a suspect?

Just to explain to people why i'm thinking Wintergerst. Schörner was Korps commander of the XIX Geb Korps at the time, Dietl was of course commander for the 20 Geb.Armee. looking at the houses in the background i'm thinking that this was taken at Kirkenes. That's why i'm thinking K.Admiral Stichling and would also explain Wintergerst as the 210 ID had responsibility for this area immediately behind the XIX Geb.Korps.

for reference here's a couple of shots of Dietl and Jodl from my own collection taken at Kirkenes, North Norway in 1944 shortly before Dietl's death.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks all for the information.

Regards
                          Paal

Comment

Hi,
                            Perhaps it is Wintergerst, but I know a man who could tell you for sure, as his direct boss was Dietl-an old neighbour of mine, a Gebirgsjaeger RK winner, DKiG, Ek1 and 11, a man who thought the DkiG was harder to get than his RK for reasons that are fairly obvious I suppose!

Comment

A GJ RK and DK winner who fought in Norway\Finland, sounds interesting. Who is it? There weren't many and even fewer still alive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X