Tropical Uniforms in Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical Uniforms in Color

I just got these two snapshots of LW tropical uniforms in color today. You don't see these too often. Bill
    Attached Files

Tropical Uniform in Color pic #2

Comment

DAK in color

Hi Bill,

Nice shots. Are these actual color film or are they "colorized" B&W shots?

Have you see the brand new book "Afrikakorps, Rommel's Tropical Army In Original Color"? I got it at the SOS. 183 pages of awesome color pictures.

Comment

John,

These are actual snapshots that was lifted out of a photo album..typical remains of black papier on reverse side with Agfa-lupex marking. I seen several color photo books. I have a period one in color on the Afrika Korps. Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Regardless of these being in an album, the originals that they were produced from are likely hand tinted. These do not look like the typical WW II era Agfacolor; the greens are just too intense. Nice photos either way.

Regards,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John,

Thanks for your input but what are typical Agfa color photos? I've had very clear and vivid wartime color slides. I've also seen tinted portraits before but never on smaller snapshot photos. Just wondering where you are getting your information from..any references or are you talking from experience. Regards - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
              John,

Thanks for your input but what are typical Agfa color photos? I've had very clear and vivid wartime color slides. I've also seen tinted portraits before but never on smaller snapshot photos. Just wondering where you are getting your information from..any references or are you talking from experience. Regards - Bill

Hi Bill, Both.

Agfa was a pioneer in Euorpean color photography. Many WW II German color images were shot on Agfa film. Check out the DAK book that John K mentioned and you will see what period color images look like. I was privileged to see many of these photos when the book was being put together. Incredible!

In addtion, I have hand tinted many B&W photos and am familiar with the look this achieves.

Best,
              John
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

yes, obvious and without a shred of doubt that these are hand tinted shots.
                The colours of the uniforms are an approximation made by the colour tinter in the photo studio.

Comment

There is an original color Afrikakorps book for sale on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1 and there is also the same book as a 1997 reproduction print: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1 and the two photos being shown in this thread are nicely hand colored photos...I still like them anyway...

Cheers, Torsten.

Originally posted by W Petz
                  John,

These are actual snapshots that was lifted out of a photo album..typical remains of black papier on reverse side with Agfa-lupex marking. I seen several color photo books. I have a period one in color on the Afrika Korps. Bill
                  Last edited by torstenbel; 03-31-2005, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Torsten,

Thanks! I have that one plus five other period FJ Books. Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X