Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BWB Sonderverband 287

Hi all

Thought I would show you a recent purchase. A common Black Wound badge Urkunde to a soldier in 1./Panzer Grenadier Btl 287.

On the face of it nothing special but this unit was part of Sonderverband 287 also referred to as the Deutsche Arabische Legion. They were formed in late 1942 with a mix of Arabs and German cadre from the Brandenbergers.

His unit didn't go to Africa, they went with Army Group South into southern Russia to push into the Caucasus and spead muslim influence in the area and stir up local support to help fight the British.

The long term goal of Sonderverband 287 was to loop round towards Egypt and eventually join with the forces fighting in North Africa.

Looks like Ahlborn was wounded in the fighting around Terek on the Kalmyk Steppe and returned to Germany. The whole unit returned to Germany a few months later was renamed Gren Regt (mot) 92 and ended up in the Balkans.

I don't know what fate Ahlborn had and he's not listed on the Volksbund.

Hope you like it.
    Darren
    Attached Files

Hello !

For me a very nice award document, related to an interesting and very special unit.
    Congratulations for finding this citation and thanks for showing !

On the time he was wounded, Gen.Kdo. z.b.V. covered a defensive line of ~80km extension, N of XXXX. AK.,
    ~100 km ENE of Piatigorsk. It was somewhere in the middle between rivers Terek and Manytsch.
    Around that time, it had already suffered losses of at least 525 men (111 dead, 414 wounded),
    out of a combat strength of 2000. Most of the losses occured due to air attacks and local recon patrols.
    [According to a report from 8.12.42]

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Thanks for the information Archi

Can I ask where you got the detail from ?

Darren

Comment

Hello !

The info is from a biography of General Hellmuth Felmy, written by Gerhard Weber.
        The locations from a Lage Ost map.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Thanks Archie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X