Rare image of Dr. Ludwig Stumpfegger-One of Hitler's Personal Physicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare image of Dr. Ludwig Stumpfegger-One of Hitler's Personal Physicians

Here's a rare image I pulled from the collection. I believe the guy in all white is Dr. Ludwig Stumpfegger surrounded by Allgemeine SS, Police etc... Note the Gold Party badge on the SS guy standing to the left of Stumpfegger and what appears to be an SS proficiency badge below that (might be just shadows playing tricks... ). It's next to impossible to find photo reference to confirm that's Stumpfegger. I saw an image in one of my books but could not recall which one. I tried using Google and Yahoo! search engines but to no avail. What do you think? Any idea who the SS officers could be? Anyone familiar with the last days of the Third Reich will recall that Dr. Ludwig Stumpfegger and Martin Bormann tried to escape Berlin but apparently never made it....
    Last edited by para03; 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM.

Hi Para, I don't know if that is a pic of LudvigStumpfegger, but he and Borman both swallowed poison on May 2' 45 in Berlin's Invalidenstrasse. There bodies were recovered in a 1972 dig and identified by dental records. Sonny

Comment

You may be right Sonny. I might have misidentified the guy in white. I was meaning to say he looked more like Karl Brandt instead of Stumpfegger. Here's the photo I used as a quick reference. It shows Brandt shortly before his execution on June 2, 1948 at Landsberg prison after he had been found guilty at the Nuremberg trials. On closer comparison, I don't believe it's the same person after all. The chin is different for starters....

Originally posted by Sonny
      Hi Para, I don't know if that is a pic of LudvigStumpfegger, but he and Borman both swallowed poison on May 2' 45 in Berlin's Invalidenstrasse. There bodies were recovered in a 1972 dig and identified by dental records. Sonny

Comment

Hi Para, let me go through my books, I don't really remember ever seeing a pic of Stumpfegger. He came on the scene pretty late, I think one book gives it as Oct '44. Nice pic of Dr Brandt, I actually own a real pic with Dr Karl Gebhardt in it. Sonny

Comment

Thanks Sonny. I had no luck using Yahoo! and Google search engines or finding any pics in my reference books. If anyone has an image of Dr. Stumpfegger, I'd like to see it. It's become quite a challenge trying to locate one...

Originally posted by Sonny
          Hi Para, let me go through my books, I don't really remember ever seeing a pic of Stumpfegger. He came on the scene pretty late, I think one book gives it as Oct '44. Nice pic of Dr Brandt, I actually own a real pic with Dr Karl Gebhardt in it. Sonny

Comment

Here is a poor quality reproduction of Stumpfegger's image. This illustration is found in Jochen von Lang's book, The Secretary..Martin Bormann: The Man Who Manipulated Hitler.

Hope this is of interest

Cheers,

Ramon
            Last edited by ramon; 10-02-2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the image Ramon. I appreciate the effort! There has to be a frontal portrait image of Stumpfegger somewhere. I really would like to compare it with the image I originally posted of the guy in white. This has turned out to be quite a challange after all! I mentioned that the award the Allgemeine SS soldier was wearing below the gold party badge could be an SS proficiency badge. I'm leaning more to an 'NSDAP Allgemeine Gau award 1925'. Anyone not familiar with that award, here's an image that I found on the net....

Comment

I agree re the badge--it could also be the Allgemeine Gau award 1923--you can't tell from the photo--both are the same except for the date.
                The guy in white does resemble Brandt, but in the other photo Brandt appears to have a lower hairline? Also, this is an early photo, judging by the SS insignia and police uniform--I think the man in white would be too old to be Brandt.
                Erich

Originally posted by para03
                Thanks for the image Ramon. I appreciate the effort! There has to be a frontal portrait image of Stumpfegger somewhere. I really would like to compare it with the image I originally posted of the guy in white. This has turned out to be quite a challange after all! I mentioned that the award the Allgemeine SS soldier was wearing below the gold party badge could be an SS proficiency badge. I'm leaning more to an 'NSDAP Allgemeine Gau award 1925'. Anyone not familiar with that award, here's an image that I found on the net....
                Festina lente!

Comment

Hello Erich and thanks for your reply. Your right, it could be a 1923 dated Gau badge. There's just no way of telling. I can see your point about the guy in white possibly being older in comparison to the picture of Brandt taken in 1948. I'll also agree with you that it's an early image. I'm guessing it was taken sometime in the 30's. If you age our subject, say at least 10 years, then I can see where the guy in the early image might be too old to compare with the last image of Brandt taken in 1948. There are some resemblances between the two but not enough to make it a sure thing. At least that's my humble opinion....Any one else care to comment?

Comment

In my earlier post, I had neglected to add that Stumpfegger was well over 6'6" tall. He would surely stand out in any crowd.

Ramon

Comment

Well, that settles that! Thanks Ramon!
                      -Chuck

Originally posted by ramon
                      In my earlier post, I had neglected to add that Stumpfegger was well over 6'6" tall. He would surely stand out in any crowd.

Ramon

Comment

Where did these photos go? I am very curious about them.

Comment

Yes, dwicky is right: I see no links or attached photos to any note on this thread...!

Br. James

Comment

looks like they were removed in 2006

Comment

I find this waaay too often on too many threads here..if the object is posting photos to help acquire knowledge, does it not seem a tad selfish to keep it to yourself when you find it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X