Anybody recognize this ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody recognize this ship?

Tried blowing up the photo's larger, but can't quite make out the cap tallies. I can see ...Schiff Sch....

Any ideas?

thanks in advance
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

pic 2

I believe this is same ship...there are some high ranking officers coming down the steps to the motor launch, no idea who. As is all too often the case, no descriptions, and these 2 came with a group of loose photo's.
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.

Comment

Best I could do with a "closeup" of the cap...

Comment

No extra info to ad Hank, but a couple observations; Appears post-WWI but pre-3rd Reich- no breast eagles on the uniforms. Also, the ship has the side-mount guns, indicating WWI vintage. Size-wise, I'm guessing it is a Destroyer or Light Cruiser with that forward gun (???).

John

Comment

Might even be pre WWI the gun mount looks pre-dreadnaught era.

Comment

Hi,

The cap cockade looks Reischwehr (sp) so between wars. It may be the old Schleswig-Holstein (sp) which reamined in commission after Versailles. I don't have references to check, maybe someone else could though.

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Schleswig-Holstein oder Schlesien

You have a choice of two, either Schleswig-Holstein or Schlesien. These are both pre-Dreadnought 1904 battleships of the Deutschland class. They were used as training ships after WW1 and would be the nucleus from which the Kriegsmarine would grow. Nice pictures!

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies! I think it may be the Schlesien also, from further enlargement of the photo's. There's a number of between-war KM pix, the sailors in most are wearing Stammdivision tallies on their caps. Also a couple more pix of him in WW 2 wearing the Minensuch badge.

They came with a Minensuch Urkunde for the KM, and more photo's of a man who is obviously "up in years" as far as military goes. Also included was a post war document seeking monetary recompensation for his house in Hamburg that was totally destroyed during a bombing raid.

Comment

It's the Schlesien...
                  I have a hand carved ship's plaque from this vessel and if you ever sell these pics please let me know in a PM.
                  Thanks.
                  J.v.C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X