Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Großdeutschland - Panzer 631

Hi to everyone...
    I'm pleased to share with the community these two Großdeutschland pics just entered the collection...
    Unfortunately on the back is written only "631 crew 0842".....
    IMHO the officer pictured in full (wearing a "cut-out" PKA in silver) is se same that you can see on the panzer....and the pics have been taken in the same village....
    If some of you is able to give me some more infos......thanks so much....
    All my best
    Giorgio
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

gd panzer pictures

my friend let me congratulate you on a wonderful group of images!
        to say i am jealous is a understatement, you did very well!

Comment

Was Großdeutschland the ss division?

Comment

Originally posted by ballista View Post
            Was Großdeutschland the ss division?
            Hello ballista,
            Großdeutschland was not an SS Division, but the premiere Division in the Heer (regular German army). You may be confused by the wearing of the arm band on his Panzer wrap (uniform). Most SS Divisions wore their arm band on the left arm. Großdeutschland wore it on the right arm. If you do an internet search, you will be able to see the differences between SS and Heer Panzer uniforms. Mainly between the different styles of insignia and their positions on the uniform.
            Regards
            Bern

Comment

Nice photos, it looks like a Panzer IV G.

Comment

Originally posted by giorgio View Post
                agreed.
                rare foto. nice.

Comment

The photo was taken in August 1942 ("8.42")

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                    Hello ballista,
                    Großdeutschland was not an SS Division, but the premiere Division in the Heer (regular German army). You may be confused by the wearing of the arm band on his Panzer wrap (uniform). Most SS Divisions wore their arm band on the left arm. Großdeutschland wore it on the right arm. If you do an internet search, you will be able to see the differences between SS and Heer Panzer uniforms. Mainly between the different styles of insignia and their positions on the uniform.
                    Regards
                    Bern

the tankman in the photo wore skulls in buttonholes - sign of totenkopf division.

Comment

the tankman in the photo wore skulls in buttonholes - sign of totenkopf division.
                      Hello again ballista,
                      Soldiers of the 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf", wore 1 totenkopf on the right collar and a rank badge on the left collar, usually incorporating stripes and pips. Heer Panzer troops wore 2 totenkopf, one on the left and one on the right. SS troops also wore the uniform eagle on the left shoulder, while Heer troops wore it on the right breast. Another distinct way of telling SS from Heer is the visor cap badges. SS troops wore a totenkopf on the hat band and Heer troops wore a national colour roundel surrounded by laurel leaves on the hat band. There is also a marked difference between SS and Heer eagle badges, with SS eagles wing's having rounded ends, while Heer eagles have pointed wing tips.
                      Note: There are a few exceptions to the above regarding the wearing of totenkopf.
                      For example, Max Seela, Commander of the SS Pioneer Battalion "Totenkopf", wore 2 totenkopf, one on each side.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Regards
                      Bern

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your opinions......
                        I really appreciate....
                        About GD/Totenkopf everything has been explained....
                        All my best
                        Giorgio

Comment

Giorgio,
                          The pic of the officer has it all. Crusher, wrap and a cut out PAB. There really isn't anything more to ask for.

Chet
                          Zinc stinks!

Comment

Man, you sound like my teenage son. He also argues from a position of total ignorance. J

Comment

That is one sharp looking soldier, I love photos like this..thanks....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X