85th Mountain Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85th Mountain Div.

Hello, This is a conundrum that has been with me for a while. Years back I bought a large box of photos, all annotated on the back, of the 85th Gebirgs Div. Not your usual internimable groups of soldiers, but lots of stuff in Crete, the Leningrad front, Ringel and List visits, Knight's Cross ceremony etc. Along with these came a hand-written partal war diary. Had some enlargements made and the guy who did them said they came from a top quality camera, & they do look very well posed and professional. (Was this going to be for a published war diary ? ) One officer, who appears in several photographs, was killed , presumably in Russia, and there are 2 or 3 photos of his grave. How could I possibly, ( And should I ?) contact his family, if any remain, and give them the photos ? He appears to have been a popular young Hauptmann, most pictures show him laughing with his troops. Would it be worth approching a publisher ?

hello:
    You are referring to the Geb.Jg.Rgt.85 which was a component of the 5.Geb.Div. In my opinion the best way of pursuing your very laudable intention is to address the veterans association of the Mountain Troops:
    Kameradenkreis der Gebirgstruppe
    Herr Gert Schoeneborn
    Schwanthalerstrasse 79/Rgb.
    80336 Muenchen
    Germany
    There is presently no veteran association for this division nor regiment listed in my source ( Deutsches Soldatenjahrbuch 2000/2001
    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Newlyn,

send me an email and I will give you a few pointers.

psychotherapist@hotmail.com

Rick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
      X