X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Document Group - IAB Silver, BWB, and more

Hello.

For your review and comment.

These documents belong to Arno Paul Roth. A member of 7. IR 226 of the 79th Division who was KIA in the Kuban Bridgehead.

First off we have a pair of typical documents - Silver IAB and BWB.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately Gefreiter Roth was KIA on 27 May 43. He was born in 1909 and was only 33 at the time of his death. However, for an infantry unit he was probably 'the old man'.

Next is the document certifying his service time.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's where it gets interesting.

Next up is a hand-written note by SOMEONE, as a condolence letter to the widow. Help with what the name is or what is under his signature would be helpful.
          Attached Files

Comment

So that hand-written letter was forwarded through channels to an office where it was transcribed and typed so it is fully readable. The document on the left is the original...the one on the right is the onion-paper copy to be retained by the office. Both are signed and stamped.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the note from the Company Commander.
              Attached Files

Comment

But that's not all....

Apparently the widow wrote the squad leader - one each Uffz R. Knoll - who took the time to respond to her about 7 weeks after her husband fell.

From what I can read of his hand-writing he gave her the standard answer of how much he was beloved in the company and that he was killed on a hilltop with a bullet through the head and didn't suffer.

I've never seen a condolence letter from an NCO before...but then I haven't been collecting this stuff all that long.
                Attached Files

Comment

Just when you think you're done....

Here's a condolence letter from the Kreisleiter of Oelsnitz where he was from - a Walter Spindler. Complete with NDSAP letterhead and raised stamp.

Not sure if this guy was important but quite a few people took time to send condolences!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last
                    Attached Files

Comment

Finally, I would like to point out that his Silver IAB document was signed 9 days after his death. Obviously the paperwork had gotten to Regimental HQ but hadn't been processed yet.

Gefreiter Roth never got to wear his IAB.

Comment

Very interesting group indeed ! Tom

Comment

Hello !

Nice group and very interesting additional documents and story.
                          Thanks for showing this !

Regarding the place and the actions he died :
                          On the 26.5.43, the Red Army started an heavy attack against the positions of 79. Inf.Div.,
                          lasting for over a week. At that time, Gren.Rgt. 226 was led by Oberst Aulock.
                          The area of Borissowka (E of Kiewskoje) and the important height 195 were held by I./226 under
                          command of Hptm. Baumgartner. On the 27.5. this group came under heavy artillery fire, supported
                          by air attacks and tanks. At the end of that day, I./226 was down to 3 Officcers and 80 men.

A few km further South, the battle was raging for the important height 121,4 (SE of Novyj/Novyy)
                          and the village Goroschtschnyj (see map). On the 27.5. a battlegroup was formed from I./228
                          and II./226 under the comand of Maj. Liebermann. This had the task to take/retake those
                          important points. Before noon, the battlegroup has already losses of 60% due artillery fire.

Its at least likely, that it was at one of those 2 places, where he fell.

Best regards,

Archi
                          Attached Files

Comment

What a story !!
                            This hobby is simply all about what you did

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
                              Hello !

Nice group and very interesting additional documents and story.
                              Thanks for showing this !

Regarding the place and the actions he died :
                              On the 26.5.43, the Red Army started an heavy attack against the positions of 79. Inf.Div.,
                              lasting for over a week. At that time, Gren.Rgt. 226 was led by Oberst Aulock.
                              The area of Borissowka (E of Kiewskoje) and the important height 195 were held by I./226 under
                              command of Hptm. Baumgartner. On the 27.5. this group came under heavy artillery fire, supported
                              by air attacks and tanks. At the end of that day, I./226 was down to 3 Officcers and 80 men.

A few km further South, the battle was raging for the important height 121,4 (SE of Novyj/Novyy)
                              and the village Goroschtschnyj (see map). On the 27.5. a battlegroup was formed from I./228
                              and II./226 under the comand of Maj. Liebermann. This had the task to take/retake those
                              important points. Before noon, the battlegroup has already losses of 60% due artillery fire.

Its at least likely, that it was at one of those 2 places, where he fell.

Best regards,

Archi
                              Wow Archi! Thank you for that important addition!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X