Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book question "Mein Kampf"

Hi Everyone,
    I was just curious if anyone out there can give me some insight on this book. It was a vet bring back (as most items are ). I was wondering what the rarity of it was. I was also curious as to the stamp on the front (what it represents). I assuming that it was printed in 1940 (as the stamp in the front indicates). Who (or what) is the dedication to from the Oberburgermeister. Lastly, why is there a "printed in Germany" in English on the copyright page?
    I appreciate all comments and answers. Yes I did note that someone put a glass on the cover at some point (and it unfortunately pulled away some of the stamp).
    Sincerely Andy B.

PS I hope this is in the right forum, as we don't seem to have a book forum yet.
    Attached Files
    Collecting minis and KVKs

close up of the cover stamp
    Attached Files

Comment

back
      Attached Files

Comment

dedication
        Attached Files

Comment

Intro

The Hitler autrograph is not actual (a print)
          Attached Files

Comment

copyright page

note the "printed in Germany"
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,

Your edition of "Mein Kampf" appears to be the so-called "wartime edition." At the bottom of the spine it should say, in impressed letters, Kriegs-Ausgabe or "wartime edition." And I think I see this on yours.

The dedication page is for the Bürgermeister to sign so it could be presented as a wedding present. The dedication reads "with best wishes for a happy marriage, from the Capital of the Movement," and is signed in this case by the Oberbürgermeister of Munich (probably a facsimile signature). Is there a first line at the top of the dedication page that reads "Dem jungvermählten Paare" or similar wording, with names handwritten under it? That first line would be "to the young wedded couple," with their names beneath.

Is this dedication page separately glued in, or is it actually bound into the book? There were a couple of editions of "Mein Kampf" that were meant for presentation, with this page bound in. The "wedding edition" was meant for this purpose. But I have also seen other editions with the dedication page glued in, so they could also be used for wedding presentations. I have a similar Kriegs-Ausgabe from 1943 where the dedication page was glued onto the edge of the title page.

However, my Kriegs-Ausgabe doesn't have a city seal on the front. Your edition has the city seal of Munich on the cover, and this is usually seen on a presentation edition.

All of these editions of "Mein Kampf" that I have seen say "Printed in Germany." Not sure why. Some other German period books I've seen also say that, some don't.

Copies of "Mein Kampf" with dedication pages are going for roughly $125 - $400, with the larger end prices at the big dealers. I like yours because it's from Munich.

Regards,
              Greg
              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Hi Greg,
                Thanks for the reply. I checked and it does have "Kriegs-Ausgabe" embosed on the back (its kinda hard to read).
                It also has "Dem jungvermählten Paare" at the top of the dedication page. However, there are no names in the blank section.
                It appears that the dedication page is bound in, as I can see the attachment points by the back hinge (for lack of a better word).
                I really appreciate the info, I had no idea that was the seal of Munich. Let me know if you would like any other photos of the book.
                Andy B.

PS. and it does appear to be a facsimile signature of the Oberbürgermeister of Munich. Do you know what his name was (I can't seem to read it the signature, its worse than mine )

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Berentsen
                  PS. and it does appear to be a facsimile signature of the Oberbürgermeister of Munich. Do you know what his name was (I can't seem to read it the signature, its worse than mine )
                  Hi Andy,

It's Fiehler (Reichsleiter und Oberbürgermeister Karl Fiehler).

Regards,
                  Greg
                  sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                  www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Although the book is in rough shape, it is quite special. This is the jubilee edition for 6 million copies printed , with the wedding edition binding. And then the Munich edition. Didn't know this existed. Very special, indeed.

Comment

Hi there, I had quite a long thread running before on the subject of how to price Mein Kampf editions and on the various editions available...have a look...maybe this will help you? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=94138

Cheers, Torsten (ebay id: german.militaria).

Originally posted by Andy Berentsen
                      Hi Everyone,
                      I was just curious if anyone out there can give me some insight on this book. It was a vet bring back (as most items are ). I was wondering what the rarity of it was. I was also curious as to the stamp on the front (what it represents). I assuming that it was printed in 1940 (as the stamp in the front indicates). Who (or what) is the dedication to from the Oberburgermeister. Lastly, why is there a "printed in Germany" in English on the copyright page?
                      I appreciate all comments and answers. Yes I did note that someone put a glass on the cover at some point (and it unfortunately pulled away some of the stamp).
                      Sincerely Andy B.

PS I hope this is in the right forum, as we don't seem to have a book forum yet.

Comment

Thanks for the link torsten, it was very helpful.

Andy B.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X