Officer Portrait - Help Needed I.D. Unit + Rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer Portrait - Help Needed I.D. Unit + Rank

I am struggling to identify this uniform and soldier's rank in portrait postcard, at first glance edelweiss on cap and arm = Gebirgsjäger, but its on the wrong sleeve, there's no breast eagle, collar tabs I've not seen before, the shoulder broads aren't regular to Gebirgsjäger units, more similar to Schutzpolizei. The portrait was taken at Tirano, Italy, written in German and sent as a Christmas card 12.12.1944 from Italy.
    Any thoughts or remarks regarding further details i.e. unit and rank will be more than appreciated. Cheers
    Attached Files

He is a Zoll official (in a mountainous area). As you know, the area between the Reich and Italy ie Bozen, Trento, Brenner Pass etc. is very mountainous.

Comment

The rank, I believe, is Zolloberwachtmeister or Zollbetriebsassistent.

Comment

Thanks for the posts OSS - Zoll branch it is, would you know which - Landzoll or Zollgrenzschutz. What would his title be - Gebirgszolloberwachtmeister or Gebirgszollbetriebsassistent perhaps?

Looking through a table of Zollgrenzschutz rankings - Zolloberwachtmeister and Zollbetriebsassistent positions are quite high up in the hierarchy, 6/7 levels up from a normal official just starting out in the service.

Comment

beautiful picture! Tirano was a terminus of the secondary railway line from Milan (Lecco) to Valtellina and Switzerland (Bernina) .... for sure he was an important
          zoll officier in that last small station for the Swiss border....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X