Unique grouping to a field chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique grouping to a field chaplain

It's been a while since i posted anything new but i think this grouping is worth showing. I know terms like rare and unique are heavily overused in the hobby but i would argue that this particular combination of rank and awards are exactly that.

I searched around a bit and although we've had photos and SB\WP posted of military chaplains/ Kriegspfarrer i didn't come across any award docs groupings.

We'll start with his national service document and appointment as a military chaplain, hand signed by von Brauchitsch.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Moving on, he served with Kriegslazarett (mot) 615 on the East front which brought him the Demjansk shield and Ostmedaille (awarded by his later unit).

A pity the Demjansk doc isn't of the more decorative type, but still.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Further in to the war, by this time he has moved units and is serving as one of the two divisional chaplains of the 210 Inf.Div. a coastal defence division in the rear area of the XIX Gebirgs Korps up on the Murmansk front. My guess is he was transferred to the division when it was formed in july '42 and obviously after the Demjansk campaign. I don't know if he was the protestant or catholic chaplain but i'm guessing protestant.

The Lapplandschild doc i'm especially pleased about as i don't have an example of this style which was restricted to just the Stab of the 210 Inf.Div. of only 117 men.
      Attached Files

Comment

Finally, his discharge document, as you can see, he was married with a child, which is why i believe he was protestant.
        He was discharged on the 26th Aug. 45. An early release, but not surprising given his position.

That's it, no high awards, but you wouldn't expect any either, but it's a complete group, perhaps his WP and SB are out there too somewhere? Double campaign shield awards are rare but Demjansk and Lappland to a chaplain? I challenge anyone to find the same combination!
        Attached Files

Comment

Superb and rare

Polux

Comment

Very, very nice and rare grouping!

Best, Peter

Comment

I agree very nice grouping

Comment

"Double campaign shield awards are rare but Demjansk and Lappland to a chaplain? I challenge anyone to find the same combination!"

Definitely unique. Imagine the requests and confessions received, and the advice and comfort he gave, while surrounded at Demjansk.

And a really awesome Lappland document.

A great group, indeed.

Comment

Thank you all, another little thing which pleased me was that the group includes the signatures of all three commanders of the 210 Inf.Div. Karl Wintergerst, Curt Ebeling and Wilhelm Rademacher . The fourth, Karl Hernekamp, also a Demjansk Schild holder never took up his position so doesn't count.

Comment

super grouping !!!! Tom

Comment

Congrats Simon. Have never seen that before. Certainly a very unique Schild combination.
                      Last edited by Edward; 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

That's a year.

Comment

Outstanding group ! First time I see one.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Kai Brüggemann showed this group to me last year in Hamburg. Are you now the proud owner?

Erich

Comment

I found some more information on chaplain Erwin Beudel:

He had his priestly ordination 20. Dez. 1936 in Berlin.

He died 9. Nov. 1992 in Hamburg where he served as "Friedhofspfarrer" / cemetery priest at

the Hamburg-Ohlsdorf Cemetery since he retired 1. Juli 1975.

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X