Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some general information

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the community and was looking for information on some photos. Can anyone help me Identify the rank as well as metals and ribbons of the man in the center of these photos. Sorry for the poor quality, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your pictures aren't coming up for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonderkommando View Post
      Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your pictures aren't coming up for me?
      Google images has been giving me issues as of late. Lets see if photobucket is better. Are these visible?

Last edited by nw00738; 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Sorry to bump the thread, but I wanted to add some information. The man in the photo is my great grandfather and he was from Dresden. I'm told he survived the war and made it to the rank of colonel and served as an artillery officer on the eastern front. I am trying to find what his rank was in the photos, and through my research I believe I've identified the German cross in Gold (my Grandmother actually told me the story of how he earned this one but she was adamant the he had earned the knights cross) , the war merit cross 1st class and a wound badge. I'm still looking for confirmation as well as any additional info.

My grandmother left me tapes she made recounting her experience of the bombing of Dresden as well as information about her father. I have not been able to review it all as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by nw00738; 03-23-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the German Cross in Gold he is missing the ICI and ICII but does have the KVKI & II so I would say this is a 'German Cross in Silver'

Which is actully a much rarer only about 1100 where givein out in the war.

Given his age and low rank (in the picture Leut. or Cap) and the KVKs I would say he spent the war is direct support of front line troops.

The group picture is most likely a course that he was running rather than a unit he was leading.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
            Not sure about the German Cross in Gold he is missing the ICI and ICII but does have the KVKI & II so I would say this is a 'German Cross in Silver'

Which is actully a much rarer only about 1100 where givein out in the war.

Given his age and low rank (in the picture Leut. or Cap) and the KVKs I would say he spent the war is direct support of front line troops.

The group picture is most likely a course that he was running rather than a unit he was leading.
            I think you're right. I looked up his name on worldwar2awards.com and found this http://en.ww2awards.com/person/7917 I'm not 100% certain that is him, but it appears to be.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X