• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by naxos View Post
    How about Willem Dafoe?

haha! Good call

Comment

Most likely, could be during the French Campaign in 1940. Nice images StuGIII
      Could you explain why you think it is 1940? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
        Could you explain why you think it is 1940? Thanks
        The civilian race-bicycle in the background makes me think France or Belgium. Just a thought

Comment

The civilian race-bicycle in the background makes me think France or Belgium. Just a thought

oh wow, I hadnt even noticed them! good eye. Like I said, I have alot to learn still, but I figured it would be after 39/40 because of the later wrap, I dunno?! lol Thanks for your response!

Comment

bikes

oh wow, I hadnt even noticed them! good eye. Like I said, I have alot to learn still, but I figured it would be after 39/40 because of the later wrap, I dunno?! lol Thanks for your response!
            That's so cool. I guess this fellow just hadn't seen much action in between the Sudentenland annexation and when he go that wrap. That's weird though isn't?

Comment

-
              Attached Files

Comment

-
                Nice field gray wrapper photo, Bill.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks. Here is a new one with a "not so commonly seen" cap. An M42 in Panzer Black. Note the buttons on the front
                  Attached Files

Comment

Panzer

Super nice pics !!

Thank You for posting !

la strovia,

Mike

Comment

Hello all,

Here are two pictures which are part of a larger grouping. It belonged to a 17 years old Leutnant in a Panzer-Abteilung. He was missing in action since April 1945 but a year later the body of an unknown soldier was discovered in a German town and due to the number on the Erkennungsmarke it was able to determine that the unknown soldier was in fact the young Leutnant. The weird part is that he went missing two weeks after his unit surrendered and almost 600km away from the place where his unit surrendered.

Comment

A well decorated Panzer Vet (EK I and II, Silver TBB, Black WB) and his best friend...

"Hundestaffel"
                        Attached Files

Comment

officer's fate

Originally posted by D_Dutch View Post
                          Hello all,

Here are two pictures which are part of a larger grouping. It belonged to a 17 years old Leutnant in a Panzer-Abteilung. He was missing in action since April 1945 but a year later the body of an unknown soldier was discovered in a German town and due to the number on the Erkennungsmarke it was able to determine that the unknown soldier was in fact the young Leutnant. The weird part is that he went missing two weeks after his unit surrendered and almost 600km away from the place where his unit surrendered.

Hi could this officer have been wounded prior to the units surrender and have been at home on leave? Another possibility is desertion, but I would think my first guess, of his being wounded and then killed later, is the best guess.
                          Last edited by StuGIII; 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
                            Hi could this officer have been wounded prior to the units surrender and have been at home on leave? Another possibility is desertion, but I would think my first guess, of his being wounded and then killed later, is the best guess.
                            Hello John,

Thanks for thinking about the possibilities! I just looked on Google Earth at the place of where he was listed as MIA and his hometown and they are 320km away from each other, so I do now know if home leave would be possible. I have already written a letter to his hometown and to his school where he is mentioned in an Ehrentafel/Gedenkbuch to find out if they have any more information. There are still many people in his hometown with the same last name and because there are only 9.000 people in that town the chance might be quite big that one of them is related to him.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Comment

odd fate

Hello John,

Thanks for thinking about the possibilities! I just looked on Google Earth at the place of where he was listed as MIA and his hometown and they are 320km away from each other, so I do now know if home leave would be possible. I have already written a letter to his hometown and to his school where he is mentioned in an Ehrentafel/Gedenkbuch to find out if they have any more information. There are still many people in his hometown with the same last name and because there are only 9.000 people in that town the chance might be quite big that one of them is related to him.

With kind regards,

Koen.
                              Hi that's so interesting that you're taking such an interest in him. Could there have been a field hospital at the location he was killed? If not, it sounds like he deserted and the chain dogs got him. Is that a possibility, given the time period and all.

Comment

odd fate

Hello John,

With kind regards,

Koen.
                                Hi that's so interesting that you're taking such an interest in him. Could there have been a field hospital at the location he was killed? If not, it sounds like he deserted and the chain dogs got him. Is that a possibility, given the time period and all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X