Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obersalzberg pics

Just acquired these from Ebay.

They are on rather thin Agfa Brovira paper 4"x3" stuck (old glue) to 9"x5.5" card string bound into a crude annotated booklet.

Inert under UV.

I have checked all the relevant references I have and can't find a match for the images although the 'Hitler's from Bormann's' pic does look familiar too me.

Anyone have any idea if these could be original images or a massed produced souvenir set?

All opinions invited.

Cheers,
    David.

Attached Files
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Checkout the spooky bit

Attached Files
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Guys, you're a tough crowd to work, real tough

Cheers,
      David.

Comment

Just saw this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...959779993&rd=1

Comment

Originally posted by David C

Guys, you're a tough crowd to work, real tough

Cheers,
          David.
          David,
          I have seen this set before.Not as often seen as the other set you see all the time though.And its nice they are written up in the GI's scrap book,period done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish
            David,
            I have seen this set before.Not as often seen as the other set you see all the time though.And its nice they are written up in the GI's scrap book,period done.

Thank you for the replies guys

I thought as much Jon when I bought them, still I like them lots especially as they were only £20.

Thanks fellas.

Cheers,
            David.

P.S. What do you make of the spooky face?

Comment

David,

Glad to hear where these ended up - the bidding went higher than I wanted to go on these.

I believe these are Ernst Baumann photos. I have several postcards printed from his photos, featuring these scenes. Some of the postcards have small numbers in a lower corner, others don't. But the scenes are the same as these (except I haven't seen the Kehlsteinhaus one taken from back behind it).

The "skull" on the Berghof wall shows up in a lot of photos (funny, not evident in this one), but I haven't seen that "face" before. Maybe a candidate for eBay resale, along the lines of the famous face in the grilled cheese sandwich?

Geoff Walden

Comment

Obersalzberg

Nice pictures David, and at a fair price with the capitioning. I wish I had seen them on Ebay.

John Klein

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X