• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Calif. Autograph Laws

Please see link.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB1570
    Ed. Anderson,Jr.
    The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Thanks for posting this, Ed, though such "legal-ese" is difficult to read and even more difficult to understand...IMO. It seems like this new law has nothing to say about private citizens selling autographed items; it's really directed against dealers, and even then, without any punishment prescribed.

And I'm not sure what this revision is aimed at containing, either! As I read through it, it seems like this law is specifically dealing with broadening the category of 'autographs' from "sports memorabilia" to ALL autographs, which would include TR and WWII material.

What is even more confusing (for me) is found under the description of the term "mint condition," as follows:
    "(7) “Mint condition” means any collectible sold on the open market or through a private transaction that meets all of the following requirements:
    (A) The item has never been circulated, used, or worn."
    In the first place, I have no idea how an "autograph" could be "circulated, used or worn!" Does "circulated" mean 'having been previously sold by someone else?' And exactly HOW does someone "use or wear" an autograph?? Is this clause referring to autographed clothing? Or is this really just the beginning of someone trying to put up legislation which would penalize anyone from selling anything that someone else doesn't think should be sold or even possessed? Pardon me for being paranoid, but this is the way some puritanical people have used to forbid the sale or even the possession of something that someone else doesn't think anyone should want to have or to collect! If that's so, then many of us collectors of "Nazi stuff" had better be prepared for a knock at the door late some night!

Yours in fear and paranoia,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X