Request For Help With SS LAH Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request For Help With SS LAH Photo

This portrait photograph of a young LAH soldier is in a rather large family photo album. The photo came loose from the album page and I saw the notations on the back.

Can anyone assist me in translating the writing?

I am assuming that, at least in part, it tells us that the soldier was born in 1923 and died in early 1945?

Thanks for any assistance, gentlemen!
    Attached Files

The writing....
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
      Nice photo ,sorry can't help with translation.
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
        The writing....
        Urlaub im September

Meiner lieben, guten,
        treuen Gertrud zum
        ewigen Andenken
        Dein Hannes

(holiday sept.43
        To my dear good loyal Gertrud, for eternal rememberance, yours Hannes)

Comment

name

I read his name as Werner, not that it matters!

Comment

I think it says Werner, though I'm not certain. Regardless, Werner (or Hannes) had this photo taken while on home leave in September 1943. By that date, he was a Rottenführer/Corporal in either the LAH Artillerie Regiment, or the Pionier Bataillon, since he wears the General Assault Badge. He had also suffered a severe wound, or several more minor ones, since he wears the Silver Wound Badge. His ribbon is for the Eatern Front Medal, meaning he served on the Eastern Front during the winter of 1941-42, when he was 18 years old.

Our man died on February 7, 1945. The LAH wasn't in combat on that day, it was on the way to Hungary for the Südwind offensive, which began 10 days later. The notice also doesn't say "Gefallen" or "Gef." which would mean killed in action. Instead it is another word, possibly "Verst" for "Verstorben," which suggests he died on that day after being wounded earlier. He was likely wounded during the Ardennes offensive in December 1944 or January 1945. He sent the photo during the October 1944 preparations for that offensive, perhaps knowing that desperate times were ahead. He then died on February 7, 1945, either from his wounds, or from infection that set in during his recovery (the Germans didn't have penicillin, or similar anti-biotics).

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, very, VERY much!
              Your assistance with the translation, and most especially with the historical interpretation and analysis of the soldier and his circumstances, is truly appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X