Award document assistance please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award document assistance please

I recently aquired an award document for the silver wound badge. The soldiers name is Ernst Walter and it was issued on 12Feb45. My question is this: on the document is typed what I believe to be his unit. It is 1.Kp. Nachr.Abtlg.1549, what does this mean? Is it possible to trace a particular soldiers wartime service?
    Many Thanks,
    Reif

That would be 1 Kompanie, Nachrichten Atbeilung 1549 or 1 Company, Signals Battalion (or detachment of Battalion strength!) 1549......
    At the moment no idea where this served or was attached but will try and provide more info tomorrow.
    Regarding tracing his career it could be difficult. If you write to the Deutsches Dienststelle they ask for name, date of birth and place of birth....whether his name and unit is enough it is worth a try!

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hello Reif.
      In addition to Ian's response I would like to add that this Signals Unit per Tessin was a divisional unit. It appears to have been part of the 549. Volksgrenadier Division which was raised in the fall of 1944 (October).
      Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thanks so much Ian for the info. I greatly appreciate it! I find that this "hobby" of ours becomes more fascinating by the day. IN fact I will be attending a military collectors show this weekend-and that is a rare occurance in this part of the country.
        Yours,
        Mark

Comment

Thanks Bernhard,
          I served in the military and am aware of what a sigal unit is but what do you mean by "per Tessin", "549", and Volksgrenadier? Again thanks guys I am still learning so your info. is much appreciated>
          Yours,
          Reif

Comment

Hello reif.
            -Georg Tessin compiled a large German language reference work on the organization of the German Armed forces ( I believe 14 volumes of which I have only five) and others. Oftentimes just referred to as "Tessin"
            The Signals Battaion in question was the divisional signals unit of the 549. Volksgrenadier Division. Some of the so designated divisions were formed late in the war while others were just renamed during that timeframe from previous designation (usually Inf.Div.) THere existed an Order of Battle/Table of Organisation for this type divisions but not all were so organized. The "Volksgrenadier" (Peoplesgrenadier) was to bestow an additional patriotic impetus/morale builder on the members of these formations.
            I hope I was able to clarify matters.
            Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X