German remote controlled aircraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German remote controlled aircraft?

Can someone identify whether this was a remote controlled aircraft? Below the tail looks like a radio antenna. Any info on the aircraft and what was going on would be appreciated. Thanks

I would say not an radio antenna but just a tail skid.

My guess it a target for flak crews or perhaps just some model airplane enthusiasts.

Odd group of types. Two Lufty for sure an SA type? and I think two foreign types?

Perhaps the photo is a demo of some sort.

Look up the Queen-Bee for info on a WWII type remote-controlled target.

Comment

The NSFK held model airplane competitions and this could well be a picture from one of those. Does the guy to the left have a DLV visor?

Here are a couple of postcards to commemorate these competitions.

Curt
      Attached Files

Comment

Not radio controlled for sure, radio technology was not that miniaturised unitl the 1970's or so. It probably was built with a fixed rudder position so that it would fly in circles until the petrol ran out. I remember early "controlled" model aircraft, they had two wires connected to one of the wingtips so the aircraft flew in circles around the operator. By adjusting the position of the two wires you could control the elevator to steer the aircraft up or down, but that was about it.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help in this. The condition of the photo is so poor that I cannot get any better detail than this but perhaps the man to the far left is DLV.

Comment

Not always radio controlled.

They had some very ingenious and very small 'clock-work' control systems that would try and fly a preprogrammed route.

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
              Not radio controlled for sure, radio technology was not that miniaturised unitl the 1970's or so. It probably was built with a fixed rudder position so that it would fly in circles until the petrol ran out. I remember early "controlled" model aircraft, they had two wires connected to one of the wingtips so the aircraft flew in circles around the operator. By adjusting the position of the two wires you could control the elevator to steer the aircraft up or down, but that was about it.

regards,

Funksammler
              Radio controlled model airplanes were successfully flown in the USA in 1937. These were single channel radios allowing rudder only control. While the transmitters were very large with a tall antennae, the receivers and batteries would easily fit into the model pictured above. They used a clockwork or rubber band powered escapement to accurate the rudder surface. The above model could easily be radio controlled. If they were flying R/C in America in 1937, you can rest assured the Germans were too. Judging from the early uniforms in the picture above, two DLV men, HJ Leader, Luftwaffe officer and the DLV officer with flight wings, places the photo in the 1937 range. There is a metallic object sticking up, perpendicular to the wing on top. I'm not sure what this is for, possibly an antenna.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X