Atlantic Wall Implacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantic Wall Implacement

Here's a 8X10(approx.) photo from a group I purchased a couple years ago from a WWII U.S. photographer. There were many large photo's but this was the best so I kept it. It's a perfect straight shot of a 12-14 inch gun placement. The camo net looks like metal chain, also notice how the concrete bunker and gun are camo'd and the debris on the ground.
    Sorry for the glare back and flash spot. I have the photo in a two sided glass frame and didn't want to remove it. In person the picture is sharp and clear.
    Is a photo such as this considered rare? Anyone have others?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo with an interesting history. Not a clue as to its value though. Is this the only one you kept?
      Best regards,
      Terrence

Comment

Yes I sold everything else as a group, his Ike, his camera, DRK pin, about 80 other photo's of Bradley, Patton, a couple more of this gun but not near as good, a few of open AA guns, some French nude girlie show pics, etc,.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Floyd
          Perry,
          This appears to be a picture of a 28cm gun emplacement. There were several of these built in the Pas de Calais area. One of these emplacements, Batterie Todt, is now a museum. The gun itself is missing, but one can tour the magazines and the power rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by stroh
            Perry,
            This appears to be a picture of a 28cm gun emplacement. There were several of these built in the Pas de Calais area. One of these emplacements, Batterie Todt, is now a museum. The gun itself is missing, but one can tour the magazines and the power rooms.

Thanks for the additional info, do you know if these bunkers/guns were camo'd as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Floyd
              Thanks for the additional info, do you know if these bunkers/guns were camo'd as well?
              Yes, they were camoflaged. Your picture shows what appears to be chain draped down over the top of the casement. I have a color photograph postcard that shows one of the four 28cm emplacements with camo netting draped down on either side of the barrel and the barrel itself is camo painted. Send me your Email address and I will send you a scan. By the way, These guns were capable of lobbing a shell over to England.

Ed

Comment

Hello,
                this photo is a repro of a photo of the Washington National Archives.
                It represents the only bunkered gun of the Graf Spee Battery in Brittany (France), near Brest.
                The gun is 280mm indeed, unlike the battery Todt which had 4 guns of 380mm

Comment

Originally posted by stroh View Post
                  Yes, they were camoflaged. Your picture shows what appears to be chain draped down over the top of the casement. I have a color photograph postcard that shows one of the four 28cm emplacements with camo netting draped down on either side of the barrel and the barrel itself is camo painted. Send me your Email address and I will send you a scan. By the way, These guns were capable of lobbing a shell over to England.

Ed
                  How far inland? That is a really interesting piece of information, i would like to know if it was ever used and if it hit its target?
                  cheers
                  mat

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X