Photograph: Zollgrenzschutz and ROA Troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photograph: Zollgrenzschutz and ROA Troops

I just picked up a very nice Zollgrenzschutz album. On top of some terrific Zollgrenzschutz photos, I found a bonus that I was not expecting. Two photos showing a Zollgrenzschutz unit, including one female, resting with a Heer unit. After closer examination, I noticed that two of the Heer troops are wearing ROA arm badges. I was very surprised, and intrigued. I would like to try to learn more about where the photo was taken. It is identified as being near "St. Michel", but in my ignorance I am not sure where in Europe that might be! Some of the photos in the album appear to be from Austria and Italy, but a few seem also to be from France. Given that many of the ROA units were stationed in France late 1943 and early 1944, I am leaning toward France. Any help locating St. Michel on a map would be greatly appreciated!
    Jason

I don't know if this is your St. Michel, but there is the town of Saint-Michel 50 miles east of Grenoble whose topography matches the background in your picture. Very close to the current Italian border, Province of Savoie, near the Frejus Tunnel. Nice place.

If I'm not mistaken, did you purchase this album late last week? If so, you beat me to it. Congrats. Please post more pics when you have the chance.

Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks very much for your reply. That does seem like the same St. Michel, given some of the other locations noted in the album. There are several other images from St. Michel in the album, so I will try to post a few later this evening.

You are correct, I did just get the album last week. I was forunate to see it pretty early. I've already posted a couple of other images to the Police forum, but will try to get a few more up tonight when I get back from work. Thanks!

Jason

Comment

Congrats again on the albums. Let me know if you get tired of your new 'toy'.

Mike

Comment

A few more pics...

Mike, thanks again. Probably not gonna want to part with these anytime soon though!

I am attaching a few more images from the album. The first is also from St. Michel. Two were taken during Operation Adam, and one shows a decent view of the Edelweiss arm badge - which always appears to be worn on the left arm for Zollgrenzschutz, at least in these albums.
          Jason

St. Michel

Comment

Portrait

Operation Adam

Edelweiss arm badge

Operation Adam

Comment

Edelweiss arm badge

Wow, are those two in the last photo shouldering British Sten machine pistols?? Great photos by the way. Here is a photo of a Zollgrenzschutz soldier with the edelweiss badge on his left arm as well.
              Regards,
              Thomas

Comment

Great photos ,gets around a bit that officer ,here he is in earlier days .Rob.
                Attached Files
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

and some more .Rob.
                  Attached Files
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thomas and Robb thank you for sharing your photos. It is interesting to see the Edelweiss badge on the left arm. There is a close up of the badge in another photo in the album and it is a distinctly different Edelweiss badge that is seen on GJ of the Heer, for example.

Very nice that you also have photos from this same officer. I wonder how those got split off from the albums. It truly is a small collecting world!

Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X