Kreigsmarine Christmas Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreigsmarine Christmas Card

I've had this card for 15-20 years. Am I correct in assuming it's some form of Christmas greeting from the commanding officer of some kreigsmarine unit to his men? Notice the embossing that I tried to show in the second photo. It reads"ETCIEAANEC", maybe something to do with the paper manufacturer or type of paper. It's an interesting and I haven't seen another like it.
    Attached Files

Yes, it is a "Christmas/remember your man" card. Actually , the Frau was supposed to imagine/believe he somehow was there with her and the kinder

War Holy-night = a War Christmas

"Weihnacht(Holy-Night) was the accepted NSDAP term for Christmas (as in the traditional Christmas, but just not using the term that had "Christ" in it...Weihnacht was known as a variant for Christmas before NSDAP but Hitler liked it as it did not have the religico-ideological baggage of pro-Christ term. And the ancient term Weih was used by Germans for "Holy" before ancient Germans were forced to become Christians en masse by their own rulers).

Note the looming presence of the soldier (who is far away on the front or naval boat -in this instance) even though he is not there in corporeal form.

This type of visual was typical for the war Xmas

Comment

Hi,

Weihnachten is the right German expression and has nothing to do with NSDAP or permission
      It was used before the TR and is still used today.
      English: Christmas
      German: Weihnachten
      The term Weihnachten and its usage can be traced down in documents to the early 12th century.
      An other expression is "Christfest" but this is and was used only in some areas of Germany.

Anyway a nice card !

Regards
      Christian

Comment

In the old days I would have provided the citations from the academic press/university peer-reviewed books I got my information from. But it is just not worth it .
        Increasingly, I am confronted by the fact that I should not share at all.

The "Xmas" card is nice.

Comment

Why

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
          In the old days I would have provided the citations from the academic press/university peer-reviewed books I got my information from. But it is just not worth it .

The "Xmas" card is nice.
          Why so upset ?
          I have not said you are wrong. You are right in the fact about the origin of "Weih" as well as it was an accepted term.
          What I said is that long before the NSDAP, "Weihnachten " as a term was used commonly: much more wider than Christfest
          One of the first sources used this term is the poet Sperrvogel at around 1170.

Academic source ? Des Minnesangs Frühling, herausgegeben von Karl Lachmann, 1857
          Attached Files

Comment

I appreciate the responses I have received to the " Christmas Card". Both responses provide valuable insight into the history of this piece of history.
            Thanks,
            Garry

Comment

Very nice card Gary and you are right from the Command of the harbor security company. One of the harbors on the English Channel. I take it there is nothing written on the reverse??

Comment

Yes, the reverse is blank.

Comment

Riddle...

Originally posted by Garry Nelson View Post
                  INotice the embossing that I tried to show in the second photo. It reads"ETCIEAANEC".
                  I think the engrossment is permanently repeated on a roll of paper and cut whenever the motive of the card is done.

ETCIEAANNEC...

.....ET CIE A ANNE C ?

"ET CIE" in french means "and companions" and is a legal part of a company name.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post

The "Xmas" card is nice.
                    I liked your explanation. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Jim

Comment

Agree with Christian, IMO this paper holds the watermark of the famous french paperwork company Aussedat and the full watermark that you would read if the card were not cut is "AUSSEDAT ET CIE A ANNECY
                      AUSSEDAT = company name
                      ET CIE = and companions
                      A = à = located in
                      ANNECY = city of Annecy in France, well know because of its lake, situated 20 km south of Geneva (Switzerland)

Comment

riddle solved !

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                        Agree with Christian, IMO this paper holds the watermark of the famous french paperwork company Aussedat and the full watermark that you would read if the card were not cut is "AUSSEDAT ET CIE A ANNECY
                        AUSSEDAT = company name
                        ET CIE = and companions
                        A = à = located in
                        ANNECY = city of Annecy in France, well know because of its lake, situated 20 km south of Geneva (Switzerland)
                        Hello glaser,
                        great work !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X