Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurnberg then & now

Hi,

Saw some great then and now pictures. I make short movies from then and now pictures. One of my favorite I want to share with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNA4O1dktw

Hope you enjoy.

Gr. Tim

Interesting video Timster.
    I recently watched a documentary on the building of zeppelinfeld and how it is falling apart now.
    Perhaps it could be restored for some purpose.

Comment

Many thanks, Timster -- I enjoyed the composite then-and-now video and the partial tour of the Nuremberg RPT grounds which follows it. Nice to see the inside of the Congress Hall, which wasn't open to the public when I visited in 1997.

Br. James

Comment

Thanx. The building on the Zepplinfeld is rapedly falling apart. They want to restore it, but it cost thousands and thousand of money. The city of Nurnberg do not want to pay that amount of money.

Comment

I know. That building and grandstand was falling apart in 1997 when I saw it myself, though the "museum" housed beneath the central stand was still in very nice condition at that time. The occupation soldiers really did a hatchet job on that building, but at least it has stood for all the decades since WWII. Compared with the rostrum of the Luitpold Arena next door, the Zeppelin Arena is at least still there; the Luitpold Arena is only a lawn now. Time changes all things...

Br. James

Comment

Most interesting Timster. Very enjoyable and a great effort !!

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              I know. That building and grandstand was falling apart in 1997 when I saw it myself, though the "museum" housed beneath the central stand was still in very nice condition at that time. The occupation soldiers really did a hatchet job on that building, but at least it has stood for all the decades since WWII. Compared with the rostrum of the Luitpold Arena next door, the Zeppelin Arena is at least still there; the Luitpold Arena is only a lawn now. Time changes all things...
              Br. James
              Hi James!
              The US Army did not do near as much damage to the Zeppelintribuene as the city of Nuernberg itself did. Although the US made small changes to the structure, the main (and possibly irreparable) damage was done when the city decided to blow the side columns down in 1967. The falling rubble fell onto the ceilings of the rooms beneath and down the staircases, cracking the ceilings and support walls. This let in a lot of water over the years, which has done immense damage inside the structure. Most of the interior ceilings, except the Golden Hall, now have wooden scaffolding supporting them. The interior is only rarely open to the public these days (only on special occasions), because of its condition.

But the city is making a big effort to at least stop further damage. Testing of various solutions has been ongoing for a couple years, along with in-depth examination of the structure and its condition. This summer they are supposed to announce the final estimated cost to complete this effort (it will probably be a LOT more than the 70 million euro that was estimated a few years ago). We can only keep our fingers crossed.

Zeppelinfeld at "Third Reich in Ruins" - http://www.thirdreichruins.com/nuernberg2.htm#Zeppelinfeld
              Last edited by Geoff Walden; 05-19-2016, 07:58 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for the great level of detail which you always bring to these subjects! While I knew the colonnades which extended atop both sides of the central tribune had been destroyed, greatly changing the look of the whole structure, I was not aware that that damage was not done by the USArmy occupation forces. When I visited, I was able to enter the Golden Hall and admire that stunning ceiling, and to see the small museum of artifacts from the Zeppelinwiese that was housed there.

Best regards, my friend, and when can we expect to see your next book?!

Br. James

Comment

Hi James,

Maybe late 2017 or early 2018. No time to write just now.

Geoff

Comment

We understand, Geoff, and we'll try to be patient!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X