Need help on this 1936 Olympic poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on this 1936 Olympic poster

bought at an estate sale,with other authentic items. I have not removed print from frame;can anyone here guestimate if this an original or a reprint based on the only two pics I have of it?,,,frame size is 34.25 " x 46.36 "...Thanks Very Much,Robert
    Attached Files

That is an awesome poster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, I didn't read your whole question! Can't make a guesstimation regarding if it is an original or a reprint. I was just commenting on the format and image of the poster. It is really well done. Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have doubts this is an original, although some closeup images would
        be good, especially of any printers / artists mark.

This poster was by Franz Würbel and had many post-war copies
        made, both in English and German text.

Comment

If you could test it under a UV light, that might get you closer to narrowing it down if it's an original piece or not.

Comment

I forgot to add that there is text missing along the foot of the poster as well as noticeable colour differences from this known original.

I would still prefer to see better images, but I do not think this one has much of a chance based on what I see, especially knowing
            how many post-war prints are around.

Comment

Olympic poster

Sorry to say it is a replica ,these were reprinted during the centennial Olympic year of 1996,for the Atlanta games. Part of a set which had all of the posters from 1896 thru 1996. Originals are usually done on linen or heavy card stock and came in more than 3 languages .

Comment

There was an original at auction recently...

Another I had seen sell a few years ago sold for over $5000 USD.

I am not usually so dismissive these days even on posters that appear
                to be new, given that these days poster restorers use bleach and air-brush
                to restore damaged posters which has them looking as good as new.

I am a firm believer in only repairing what needs to be repaired in order
                to preserve the poster, anything else is just over the top and makes a
                poster look like it just came off the printing press, which I do not like.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,687 at 02:12 PM on Today.

Working...
                X