Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dietl up in north Finland, Kalastajasaarento

Hello,

More pics from my friends grandfathers album.
    These are from 1941 when Finns & Germans fought together up in Kalastajasaarento & Petsamo.

Dietl checking the locations + more from same year & same place .

1) In the middle Finnish Inf.Reg. 14 commander colonel Hannelius, former veteran of German JB27 from WW1.

-Miikka
    Attached Files

2) Dietl & staff
    Attached Files

Comment

3) break...
      Attached Files

Comment

4) not much cover on this area and you can't dug a whole either...
        Attached Files

Comment

English bombers attacked that area at least once I've heard eyewitness stories about that attack. When bombers dropped bombs to Liinahamari town and flew away, German fighters went after them. Result was that few days later dead English pilot was found from polar sea. On the album there was a pic about this dead pilot but I decided not to upload it here since I don't want to offend anyone.

5) Instead here is a pic about Liinahamari after English bomber attack. Town is on fire.
          Attached Files

Comment

6) Dietl & Siilasvuo (III Finnish Army Corps commander)

Cheers,
            Miikka
            Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful photos!

Photo number 3 i've seen before. It appears in the book 'Die Schweigende Front: Dietl's kampf im hohen Norden'.

The British carried out several attacks in the far North. The one i think you refer to is the one by carrier based aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm on the 30th July 1941. The British suffered heavy losses and several of the airmen who lost their lives are now buried here in Tromsø.
              http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Ro...enes_1941.html
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll check that link!

I still have the photo album with me. I just checked and unfortunately there are no exact dates marked on photos backsides, only year 1941 written on album itself.

Interesting that one photo is published in a book! All photos on that album are originals but of course there were several copies made and given to officers, newspapers etc. at that time. But I know one late veteran from the same regiment who had a licence to photograph in front and there are hundreds of photo negatives at widows posession, very carefully listed and marked and noted. I'm trying to get access to those but unfortunately widow is not very co-operative... Good thing is that I'm a godfather for widow's grandson so on some day....

-Miikka
                Last edited by MASteel; 02-01-2005, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X