Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity of RKT

Hello,

I recently posted this photo of two Luftwaffe RKT in the "Show us your favourite Ritterkreuz photo" thread but never got an answer, so I'm posting it here. Can someone please help tell me who they are.

Best regards,
    Larrister
    Attached Files

Writing on back.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello

I have already seen your request in the old thread but unfortunately, I had no idea. Looking this new request with the addition of the identification gave me a little more hope this morning.
      it would be interesting to have an expert's opinion about the plane which is in the backgroud. I would assume it is linked with the 2 LW RKT. Knowing that might help us to narrow the scope of the field by selecting a unit rather than another one (maybe Kampfgeschwaders if we suppose that this is a He111 and probably not a Jagdgeschwader).
      Anyway, by looking names' spelling, the RKT at the left side might be Heinz Seiffert and the other (ie at right) might be Heinz Geschwill.
      I am far from being sure and I would not be my head on this gamble.
      I continue, even after writing that response, I find that Seiffert is far from being really consistent with the spelling of the name.
      Sorry not being more precise.
      Regards
      Denis

Comment

Hello Denis

Thanks for your reply. I think it is a He111 and in the original photo the two RKT are posing with a couple of KM officers. Maybe the two are linked?

Best regards,
        Larrister

Comment

The hand writing to me looks like Ob.Ltn. Geismann!

If that is the case then it is Oblt. Johannes Geismann, RK 21.12.1942 as Leutnant with 1/KG 77. His final rank in the Wehrmacht was Hauptmann and Oberst in the Bundeswehr.

Other possibilities with 1 or I/KG 77 are:

Hauptmann Horst Henning. RK 22.5.1942 as Obfw. with 1/KG 77
          Hauptmann Hans-Joachim Jacobi v. Wangelin. RK 19.9.1942 as Oblt. with 1/KG 77
          Major Alexander Raab. RK 5.9.1944 as Oblt. with I/KG 77

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hello

Well done Ian !! The RKT on the left is Geissmann. Silly me : I just saw a S and didn't even think to the M as a the first letter of his name.
            Regarding the other RKT, we can restrict to 2 people since Oblt. Jacobi von Wangelin's DoD was in October 1942 (some other sources state August, 1942). Whatever the exact date, his DoD was well before Geissmann was awarded the RK (21/12/42).
            So it leaves only Raab and Henning.
            Given the late date for the RK bestowal to Raab (ie 05/09/44), I would say it is likely this is Horst Henning (not to be mismatch with Horst Hanning, another LW pilot who was awarded both KC and Oakleaves).
            Regards
            Denis

Comment

Ian and Denis,

Thankyou so much for your help.

Larrister

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X