EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone identify this British Tank and Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone identify this British Tank and Unit?

Hi all

My collection is focused on Luftwaffe memorabilia but I have this photograph of what I believe could be an abandoned British Mk VIB light tank being examined by Luftwaffe aircrew.

The album this came from is for a German airman who served in France, Norway and Denmark. Interestingly, a close look at the turret seems to show the name 'Agincourt' stencilled on the side, which does not seem a very diplomatically correct name for a British tank serving in France. Can anyone identify from the markings and scene where this might be?

Any help much appreciated.

I have also posted this question in the British and Commonwealth Forum.

Best wishes
    Tim O.
    Attached Files

Going by the description of the markings of 13/18th Hussars given by Steven Zaloga in his book "Blitzkrieg" I believe that this could be one of their tanks. Why would the French be offend by Agincourt ? They wouldn't even realise that we misspell Azincourt.

Comment

White squares were used by the BEF in France 1940. So my bet would be France 1940 or Greece 1941.

Comment

Thank you both. That is very helpful information.

Best wishes
        Tim O.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
          White squares were used by the BEF in France 1940. So my bet would be France 1940 or Greece 1941.
          It can only be France 1940 since all British tanks in Greece came from North Africa they were in desert colours and none of them were marked for the BEF which in any case no longer existed by then.

Comment

Thanks Alan. I am now confident it is France (or Belgium) in 1940.

Best wishes
            Tim O.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X