Award document/Regiments research books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award document/Regiments research books

I would like to ask which books are best for researching award documents and the regiments on them (so for example,... Div.Füs.Btl.96, Aufklärungs-Abteilung 227, 5./J.R. 305,...)

So what interests me, how can i get as much info about regiments, what soldiers were in the regiments, where were they stationed threw years, combats,...

Lexikon der Wehrmacht has some overall information, but no details. So is there any media that could help me?

The simple answer is books. If you collect paperwork and wish to research it then it is important to build up a library as well. Usually on Lexikon & Axis History unit pages at the bottom of the page for units there is a list of published books that cover that units history (usually Divisional history). Not every unit has had a history published and unfortunately a lot of the books are expensive and hard to find but without a library you won't be able to do anything other than scratch the surface of the paperwork's history.
    For instance - IR 305 belonged to 198 Inf.Div and there is a book published on that unit - Zwischen Kattegat und Kaukasus. Weg und Kämpfe der 198. Infanterie-Division 1939 - 1945, Selbstverlag, Tübingen 1961 - Gerhard Graser.
    Then when you know what battles the unit fought in you will be able to search for and obtain books that cover that particular battle. Again, not all battles have books on them but in the last few years a lot more of the relatively unknown battles have had good books published about them.
    Another source are the files at NARA and other archives which might hold the KTB for the unit you look for.

Comment

Hucks has pretty much covered it. It all depends to what detail you wish to go, getting actual nominal rolls for units you can almost forget about, they are very few and far between. Even getting officers lists is pretty rare. By far the best sources are the original archives and it is possible today for an individual to buy digital copies almost as you would a book, at least from NARA, other archives have different systems and rules and German wehrmacht archives are spread around various country's archives.
      If you do choose to look in to archives your best bet is to include the higher level formations the unit you're interested in belonged to as often these archives are more complete than others.

It's also very hit and miss. In some cases i have been able to almost trace the footsteps of individual soldiers through one small action that got them one or several awards, in other cases i can't answer the simplest of questions.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

As the others have said it really is pot luck - the more famous the individual or formation the more likely you will be successful. I have often wondered where the units war diaries ended up- anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by nick-j View Post
          ...I have often wondered where the units war diaries ended up- anyone?
          Archives, destroyed, attics etc.

Comment

Sad! I don't know why I was hoping they would have been archived. I guess the chaos towards the end of most fighting units and their subsequent destruction/imprisionment/disbursement would make this unlikely.
            The unit histories we are talking about and I know a lot of us collect are often the result of thes diaries that did survive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X