War pigeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War pigeon?

In the estate of Kurt Schulzke, 2./Nachrichten-Abteilung 19 I found the attached slide. It appears to show a mobile (?) pigeon cage. I am not familar with the use of carrier pigeons in the Wehrmacht, so I would appreciate any input!
    Attached Files

Carrier pigeon postmaster trade patch
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! Though blurry one of the guys seems to wear the patch.

Comment

Great photo, i guess the guard is against birds of prey.

There was a pigeon unit in Norway, part of the nachrichtentruppen, i've come across a few wehrpasses to members of the unit.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Looks like he is carrying an SMLE and I think that is the Rad-opp trade badge

Comment

It actually appears that he's carrying a Drilling shotgun/rifle combo.
            Regards and Happy New Year
            Bern

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/classi...rifle-shotgun/

Comment

Thank you guys for your input! I appreciate it!

First, his unit Nachrichten-Abteilung 19 did not exist as such, but Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 19 did. The unit ID is from a letter sent from someone in USA to him in 1937. It reads "2.Komp/Nachr.-Abt. 19" but actually it appears to have been sent to his personal address in Hannover, thus the unit name need not be correct.

The slides came with a unit brochure of 71.Infanterie-Division and another typed document from the division. NEA19 had nothing to do with 71ID.

Comment

First the trade patch. I have not been able to find a trade patch description of a carrier pigeon postmaster. A Zahlmeisteranwärter would have a very similar "V" though.

Anyway, someone with a different patch.
                Attached Files

Comment

And the gun... Yes, it looks like a Drilling. Closeup attached! Does this help identification?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I see now. The correct patch for the carrier pigeon is a B (for Brieftauben), not a V and it looks like he is wearing the patch.

https://www.militariaplaza.nl/unifor...r-badge-detail

Comment

A couple of years back I spoke with a veteran (Panzergrenadier-officer) who was trained to use carrier pigeons in preparation for "Operation Seelöwe" (operation sea lion), the invasion of Great-Britain.

Comment

Use of pigeons in the landing operation... It reminds me of a scene in "The Longest Day", in which the pigeons released by the newspaper reporters flying over to "the enemy side".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X