Is this the 'Wolfsschanze' in Rastenburg? East Prussia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the 'Wolfsschanze' in Rastenburg? East Prussia

Is this the 'Wolfsschanze' in Rastenburg, East Prussia?? I recognise Keitel but don't know the others.
    Any clues?
    Terry.
    Attached Files

I think it looks more like FHQ Werewolf, Ukraine.
    Max.
    Last edited by max history; 12-22-2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Photo

The other uniforms look to be Finnish or maybe Hungarian(?) going by the caps.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
        I think it looks more like FHQ Werewolf, Ukraine.
        Max.
        I think so also

Comment

The person walking with FM Keitel looks like Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim of Finland to me, and if that's true, then the following Wikipedia comment may provide the background to these photos:

"Adolf Hitler decided to visit Finland on 4 June 1942, ostensibly to congratulate Mannerheim on his 75th birthday. But Mannerheim did not want to meet him in his headquarters in Mikkeli or in Helsinki, as it would have seemed like an official state visit. The meeting took place near Imatra, in south-eastern Finland, and was arranged in secrecy.

"From Immola Airfield, Hitler, accompanied by President Ryti, was driven to the place where Mannerheim was waiting at a railway siding. After a speech from Hitler, and following a birthday meal and negotiations between him and Mannerheim, Hitler returned to Germany. President Ryti and other high-ranking Finns and Germans were also present. Hitler spent about five hours in Finland. Hitler reportedly intended to ask the Finns to step up military operations against the Soviets, but he apparently made no specific demands."

Hope this is helpful. Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

But Mannerheim and Hitler had several meetings during the war and (as far as I am aware) Mannerheim was a guest at both the Wolfsschanze and Werewolf FHQs. The buildings definitely look like those at FHQ Werewolf near Vinnitsa in the Ukraine.
            Max.

Comment

Hi,
              I think it is Miklos Horthy with Keitel.

tvonk

Comment

Hi Tvonk,

I don't think it's Admiral Horthy. It doesn't resemble the Admiral facially, IMO, and I couldn't find any photos of Horthy wearing the sort of 'overseas cap' variation which the person in Terry's photo was wearing. Horthy normally wore a variety of naval hats. But Marshal Mannerheim did wear a cap like the one shown, and often.

Thanks to Max for further clarification.

Br. James

Comment

Horthy??

Thank you all for giving me some clues. I just gone through hundreds of photos on the internet and the chap with Keitel doesn't look like Mannerheim, BUT the man in the naval uniform could well be Admiral Horthy. I've attached a couple of photos, see what you think. The first enlarged photo certainly does look like Horthy with similar features to my original photo with the Germans.
                  (It also appears that the Finns and the Hungarians had similar soft caps which adds to the confusion....so the visiting party could well be either Finnish or Hungarian....or am I wrong?)
                  Terry.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Terry. Those last photos of Horthy underscore my point, at least IMHO. I'll stand pat for Mannerheim.

Warm holiday wishes,

Br. James

Comment

b)
                      Attached Files

Comment

This looks like the same venue, but with Hitler and Mussolini. I do not know what the location was, unfortunately,
                        Kerry
                        Attached Files

Comment

And one more,
                          Kerry.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This photo came from the same source as the previous two and, I believe, it is of the same gathering. The uniforms may be of help,
                            Kerry.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Compare the other officers in the pics, you can know they are from Hungary.

Best

tvonk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X