SS Lagerführer diary Camp Bräsen- Germany WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Lagerführer diary Camp Bräsen- Germany WW2

I found this piece by accident in a collection of a former journalist, who wrote articles about the holocaust for over 25 years and travelled through Germany doing so. He sold me a few of his items he acquiered over the years. In his collection this unique piece! A diary from a Lagerführer dated 1940-1941. The diary is from a camp in Bräsen (Germany). Each day is signed by 'Lagerführer Richter'. In the book was a list with names and occupations of more than 20 Belgian Prisoners. As lagerführers are high placed SS officers, i want to find some more info on this camp and führer, anybody has an idea or database where i can look? anybody who knows more than me? (just a few photos as it's to much to photograph them all. Greetings , Matthias

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Tage...-/111217347335

Gerdan

Comment

Bräsen, as you may well already know, is part of the town of Coswig, which sits on the bank of the river Elbe and is located approximately 60km southwest of Berlin. During the Nazi era, a prison, established in or near the castle, held several hundred prisoners - including POWs that were exploited at a nearby forced labour facility providing armaments for the German war effort. The town houses several memorials, some of which are notable as they commemorate victims of forced labour and the Third Reich. You may well find that contacting the regional offices will shed more light on your acquisition. Remember that many camps were known by more than one name - and use of "Lager" does not strictly designate that the camp was part of the vast Konzentrationslagers network. The many various forms and categories of camp were typically complicated in structure, designation and patently, purpose. I wish you well with your search and look forward to hearing more when the time comes.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Thank you sir, that was very helpfull. I'll look into that!

Comment

Briesen

Excuse, however, to Briesen was no concentration camp and also no Subcamp. It was just a prisoner's of war camp of the armed forces.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterStahl View Post
            Excuse, however, to Briesen was no concentration camp and also no Subcamp. It was just a prisoner's of war camp of the armed forces.

Indeed that is correct Peter. The penal facility was not under the administration of the vast system of Konzentrationslagers and their respective satellites. Rather, it was one of countless other facilities established during the Third Reich era to hold, torment, torture and often, ultimately murder their prey. The expansive ongoing publication from the USHMM (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum), that I myself am contributing toward through my studies and written work, will eventually cover the site at Bräsen. However, due to the enormity of the project - literally tens of thousands of sites to be addressed in a seven volume work to be released over a twenty year period, as yet, the respective volume has not been released.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X