VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Kriegsabzeichen on Bundesmarine Uniform!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All:

Pretty interesting observation here.

Photograph of Konteradmiral Bernhard Rogge circa 1961 and look what Hilfskreuzer Kriegsabzeichen he is wearing!!! it certainly looks to me like he is wearing his badge from the Kriegsmarine time--not a 1957 version!!!

Thoughts?

Joe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe Slavick; 10-04-2015, 05:00 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling.

It certainly looks like a TR period Auxiliary Cruiser badge and it's hard to tell by the photo, but the swaz appears to be intact. Also, did they issue oak leaves in the Bundesmarine?

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
      It certainly looks like a TR period Auxiliary Cruiser badge and it's hard to tell by the photo, but the swaz appears to be intact. Also, did they issue oak leaves in the Bundesmarine?
      Yes, looks like a good Hilfskreuzer!
      Of course he could wear the OL as a Bundesmarine officer, as he was awarded them during the war!

Comment

Gentlemen,
        Yes I admit, the badge seems to have a swastica, but be reasonable and take a deep breath, there is NO WAY a Bundesmarine Admiral on active duty would wear a third reich insignia on an official call like in this picture. Having know three Bundesmarine Admirals, ex-Km Officers, I am writing this out of my personal experience. Having said this, he is not wearing the 1957 type badge either, because the 57 type did not had an eagle on top. Looking forward to other pictures taken on that day or during this timeframe. An interesting mystery!
        Last edited by glaser; 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Wasn´t Rogge awarded the Hilfskreuzer mit Brillanten (Diamonds)? Guess there was no 1957 Diamonds version. But it is strange, no doubt!

Comment

Ludwig: Yes. Rogge was awarded the Hilfskreuzerabzeichen mit Brillanten. A friend of mine actually photographed Rogge's badge in the 1970's and gave me a copy of the photo. It is a beautiful badge.

Glaser: I agree with you that clearly this isn't a 1957 Hilfskreuzer Kriegsabzeichen. However I do think it is his wartime badge. It does look like it is complete with nothing cut off or modified. (Anecdotally I have heard of RKT's wearing their wartime RK post-1957.). I scanned the photo in super high resolution and it is still unclear. So I think the real answer whether it is an unmodified wartime badge or if it is a wartime badge with swastika defaced/removed will remain a mystery.

I have several other photos of Rogge in his Bundesmarine days. But no other from this day or in this particular uniform. So no help there either.

Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X