Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press Photos

Hi,

Can someone explain exactly what a press photo is? Were they similar in quality to Hoffman photos, as far as quality, and distributed in the same fashion? Besides a description on the back, is there any other way to determine if a photo is one?

regards,

Darren

Normally, but not always, press photos will have a printed caption on the backs of the photo and will most always have a stamp on the back of the photo from the agency which released the photo. The same image could have been released by more than one different press agency. Hoffmann was one press agency during this time. Other press agencies are Atlantic, Scherl, Weltbild, Orbis, Presse Bild Zentrale and the Associated Press to name a few. A lot of the value also lies in the script attached to the back of the photo. The reason is the script will give you more detail of the photos itself such as a place, name, the date it was released (not necessarily taken), etc. Most press photos are 5x7 in size, others can be larger (8x10) and some are smaller in size (normally these are RK pics). I've been collecting press photos for almost 10 years now. I hope this helps answer your questions. Please ask if you have any more questions.

Comment

hello,

which pressphotos are rarer? The first for example 1940 or the later ones from 1944/1945?
      thanks
      regards
      ralf

Comment

Originally posted by frankandfrank
        hello,

which pressphotos are rarer? The first for example 1940 or the later ones from 1944/1945?
        thanks
        regards
        ralf
        Hi Ralf,

The later the war , the rarer the pressphotos.

yours
        eric-jan

Comment

Thanks arbeitdienst for your excellent response. I am going to purchase a period press photo of a WWI pilot, and wanted to know what I should expect to see on the back of it (only the front is shown). On the front, there is a very small four digit number within the photo. Could this signify something?

regards,

Darren

Comment

Do you have a pic of it you could share with us to look at? Or e-mail it to me and I can give you more information on the photo.

Late war press photos are very difficult to find, especially 1945 ones. I may only have about a dozen or so 1945 press photos of the 2500+ in the collection.

Comment

Hi Todd,

I don't have it yet, but I can send you pics of it when it arrives. I will send shots of both front and back.
              regards,

Darren

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X