My small collection of Luftwaffe Flugbuch groupings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My small collection of Luftwaffe Flugbuch groupings

Hope you enjoy this, I'm a beginner (big style!) and have recently acquired the following sets of Flugbuch. So far I'm really enjoying researching the individuals, if anyone wants any information or scans I'm very happy to help....albeit it will take a little while. The matching Flugbuch and Leistungsbuch are just fabulous and Kauschke has recorded a lot of his flights in great detail, which combined with the detail in his Leistungsbuch make for a fascinating research project. The photos relate to the career of Hauptmann Erich Bunge, a St Kap of SG3/4. The Wiegand Flugbuch has a matching EK1, Bomber clasp and Air Gunner badge. Thanks for looking!

Ps - I also have a fabulous RAF Beaufighter pilots collection of logbooks, recording various kills before he was also killed shooting down a JU88 into the Bay of Biscay.

I always enjoy seeing images of fellow Luftwaffe enthusiasts document groupings and photographs, and you already have a very nice collection already, covering some very nice Kampfflieger and Schlactflieger units.

Can I ask the dates of Hauptmann Bunge's service within SG 4 which his Flugbuch covers please?

Regards Richard.
    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Hi Richard,

I'll get back to you tomorrow.....unfortunately his 5 Flugbuch are a bit of a mess chronologically and his writing is difficult to read. But I'll have a check and see what I can find. Yes I love Flugbuch and researching the careers of the men in them is my passion, geeky but fun!

Regards,

Si

Comment

Richard,

From the Luftwaffe career summaries webpage, he was with SG4 from 20 Feb 44 until 13 Jul 44 when he went to 1/SG151 as Kdr and Kdr 3/SG3 from 25 Mar 45.

I need to get an expert to look at them as for the most part his writing is almost illegible. I can't read the place names of his airfields, but with a little help I can probably work them out. He's added a fair few notes aswell but they are even more difficult to read! When I get my PC working again I'll post some scans up in the translation help needed thread and see where we end up.

Comment

Welcome! You have a very nice collection there!

Comment

Nice way to start collecting, I like your style

Comment

Thanks very much for your comments chaps, much appreciated! I'm really enjoying collecting these...I was a military pilot myself and still love browsing through my old logbooks (even though they're only 1% as interesting as these!).....I only started collecting a few months ago when I was given an amazing set belonging to a KIA RAF Beaufighter pilot.....I've since started buying pretty much anything I can find, although the Luftwaffe Bomber force is my main interest, due to my Great Uncle having flown and died with 5/KG54. Anyway, cheers for reading!

Comment

I agree, such an interesting subject to research. It doesn't get much better when you manage to put a face to a name when you find a picture. I can't really explain why it counts so much but I'm sure you know what I mean 👍
                Regards
                Nick

Comment

I would say more than a starter's collection! You have a really nice collection that you should proud of.
                  Regards,
                  Andy

Comment

Very nice start indeed and heaven for us research junkies.
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                      Research junkies.

Perfect term!

Comment

Hi,

To answer Richard's question, Erich Bunge joined II./Schnellkampfgeschwader 10 when it was based on Sicily in late-July 1943, flying his first mission, from Crotone, on 2 August 1943 (he had been forced to abandon two missions on 30 July 1943). This unit became II./S.G. 4 in October 1943, and he flew his last mission with the unit on 20 February 1944. He was then ill in hospital for some time. Earlier in the war he was with 3./A.Gr. 14.

Cheers,
                        Andrew A.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X