Citation 8./Schlachtgeschwader 2 Immelmann

Hi Gentlemen,

who signed this citation?

Thank you.
    Attached Files

That's Rudel's signature.

Comment

Great. Thank you very much.

I did not dare to believe it is RudelĀ“s signature.

According to his flight log Beneking was a tank and ship hunter as well
      He destroyed at least 3 tanks and a 5000 BRT ship at Tornio on October 6th 1944.

Here is a pic of the whole grouping
      Attached Files

Comment

I can see from the Schlachtflieger urkunde that he transferred to nachschlachtgruppe 8 as i recognise Johan Trnka's sig.

Here's the reported sinking of a Finnish ship at Tornio on the 6th Oct.44 as reported by 20 Geb.Armee
        Attached Files
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon - Thanks for posting the teletype. It makes for some great background info given the Gold spange doc, the flugbuch and the fact that this group came to live with me in New York .

Here is a clearer pic of the Gold citation. Interestingly, the first name does not match. However, I'm willing to bet this is a clerical error as I bet there was not another Beneking on 2./NSGr. 8. The sorties in the flugbuch match the number he would have needed for this award.

This is my first Schlachtflieger Clasp and I'm guessing this Gold version is quite rare. Ironically, I did a search on the forum and turned up very little, with the exception of the Mazurek award with pendant. That is a rare bird!
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X