Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following the 62nd Volksgrenadier...!

Hi fellow collectors!

as collecting award citations of the western front 1944/45 (Normandy, Ardennes, Aachen, Holland etc.) is one of my main interests I wanted to share a little story with you!

It all started with a little Iron Cross group I received about 5 years ago. It belonged to officer candidate Karl Gebauer of II./Grenadier-Regiment 164, 62nd Volksgrenadier-Division. The 62nd saw heavy action south/southwest of St. Vith, Belgium, facing parts of the 106th US infantry division. He was awarded the Iron Cross second class on January 3rd 1945 for fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.
    With the group came a list of close combat days which allowed me to locate the exact spots Gebauer saw action at. One was Steinebrück about 7km south of St.Vith, the other one was the town of Aldringen, about 12km southwest of St. Vith.
    Last week i had an appointment in St. Vith, so I took the chance to also visit the spots where Gebauer saw in Decembre ´44. Steinebrück turned out to be a very small settlement right at the German border with just a handful of houses. It is located in a valley surrounded by steep hills, flown through by the our creek.
    Grenadier-Regiment 164 attacked Steinebrück on Decembre 16th from the south. American infantry had occupied the hills and houses what led to brutal fightings around the village. On decembre 19th Steinebrück was taken by Grenadier-Regiment 164. It is confirmed that Gebauer was involved in close combat at least one day: on Decembre 17th (see list).
    As a result of the heavy and powerful German attacks the American troops south of St. Vith retreated west towards the towns of Grüfflingen and Aldringen, followed by Grenadier-Regiment 164 (Gebauers unit) while other parts of 62nd Volksgrenadier pushed northwards, trying to capture St. Vith.
    The 106th US Infantry again engaged Grenadier-Regiment 164 in a forest area east of Grüfflingen (Grüfflinger Forst). Here the 164th suffered heavy losses, but managed to break through the American lines on Decembre 22nd and took the town of Grüfflingen before heading towards Aldringen, where Gebauer saw close combat action again on Dec 23rd. The area around Aldringen is way flatter than Steinebrück, the town is surrounded by fields, little forests and rolling hills. One can only imagine how hard it must have been to attack the town by crossing the open, snowy fields, always fired at by enemy artillery and machineguns.

I started my little tour in Steinebrück before I went to Aldringen. On my way back I also had a little stopover in Grüfflinger Forst, but forgot to take pictures... silly!

I really enjoyed the day, it was like experiencing "living history"! My tour gave me a way better impression of what the soldier Gebauer went through and what he saw back in Decembre 1944! It also added a certain personal value to the documents!

I hope you enjoy my little show too!

Regards,

Matthias

I start with Gebauers documents and dog tag and two maps of the area... one I found online, the other one I created myself by using Google Maps so you get a better idea of the location!
    Attached Files

Google Map
    Attached Files

Comment

Steinebrück... picture one was taken north to south. Grenadier-Regiment 164 attacked from the south. Picture two was taken the other way around.

The German border is less than 200m away.
      Attached Files

Comment

Steinebrück II... notice the topography!
        Attached Files

Comment

Aldringen...
          Attached Files

Comment

Aldringen II... picture one was taken east to west, facing Grüfflingen (cannot be seen). Picture two is the other way around, facing Aldringen.
            Attached Files

Comment

I received this award document a few days ago, bwb for a member of 18th Volksgrenadier-Division which fought north of St. Vith side by side 62nd Volksgrenadier... Gefreiter Böhringer was wounded around the same time Gebauer had just been participating in the attacks on Steinebrück a couple of kilometres south!
              Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting. Great pictures too; I was up around that area many years ago, those small villages are always intriguing.

best
                Hank
                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Well done, Matthias, nice to read ! All Groups with CC days are interesting, especially if they are allowing such a nice Trip in such a nice Place ! L.

Comment

how it looked there in Jan. 45

this will help
                    this is the train station of Steinebrueck in early (2-3) Jan. 1945
                    Rittervomhuf
                    Attached Files

Comment

main road to St. Vith from Steinebrueck

a view on the main road from Steinebrück to St. Vith
                      early Jan. 1945
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much for the additional pictures!!

Comment

When I was in the army stationed at Bitburg, Germany in the late 1970's - early 1980's, I had many opportunities to visit towns that were involved with the Ardennes Offensive. As such, I found your thread to be a very interesting and nostalgic read! Thanks for posting it!

seekwhence

Comment

Originally posted by seekwhence View Post
                            When I was in the army stationed at Bitburg, Germany in the late 1970's - early 1980's, I had many opportunities to visit towns that were involved with the Ardennes Offensive. As such, I found your thread to be a very interesting and nostalgic read! Thanks for posting it!

seekwhence
                            my pleasure! i´ll probably post more stuff like that in the future, so keep your eyes open!

Comment

Thanks for showing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X