Earliest EKII award document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earliest EKII award document

I'm almost sure we had a thread like this one before but couldn't find it.
    I found some early ones (late September, early October 1939) on the Internet but I really would like to know when the first EKII was awarded.

I'm sure some of you have very early ones in your collection - please show them!

Regards, Matthias

Originally posted by Oberbootsmann View Post
    I'm almost sure we had a thread like this one before but couldn't find it.
    I found some early ones (late September, early October 1939) on the Internet but I really would like to know when the first EKII was awarded.

I'm sure some of you have very early ones in your collection - please show them!

Regards, Matthias
    I have on dated 26 September 39 Tom

Comment

I think Forman shows one in his book dealing with documents dated September 2nd.

It was a LW one.

Angel
      Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Here you go:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=early+EK

best
        Hank
        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Hank C. View Post
          Thank you very much, Hank. This is exactly the thread I was looking for.

So far the earliest one is dated September 16 th 1939. Somebody mentioned there would exist one from September 2nd 1939?

Is it possible to show scans from the book where this document is pictured?

Regards, Matthias

Comment

Currently out of home so no access to my books, but it was in Froman's Guide to Documents so, maybe, someone can take a look and put here the scan and confirm my memories or correct it.

Angel
            Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

I have one dated September 5th to a medic with 10. ID.

It's important to remember, however, that award dates are not so cut and dry. The dates could be when the soldier commited his act of bravery or when the paperwork (Vorschlagsliste) was actually processed. It's quite possible that many EKs were earned in early September, but awarded weeks or months later - physically given to a soldier in October, for instance, but dated in September. Also, it's possible that many EKs were earned quite earlier than the date listed on their document - that the date is reflective of when the Vorschlagsliste was initiated by the lower command or approved by the higher command, or actual ally processed by division ( earned in September, but dated October, November or later). So, it's important to look at the dates of these early docs and consider that the dates could be examples of a variety of scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
                ...edit.....

Also, it's possible that many EKs were earned quite earlier than the date listed on their document - that the date is reflective of when the Vorschlagsliste was initiated by the lower command or approved by the higher command, or actual ally processed by division ( earned in September, but dated October, November or later). So, it's important to look at the dates of these early docs and consider that the dates could be examples of a variety of scenarios.
                A good example of that is my doc...December 1st in Bad Neuenahr. Very little telling when the act took place, or exactly where. Just that it appears to have been presented on that date.

best
                Hank
                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Nice documents, Hank. I agree, it could have been presented on December 1st or just processed on that date and presented shortly after. 1. Gebirgs-Division saw some pretty vicious fighting in Lemberg so it is quite likely it is related to then.

Overall, I have seen a lot of documents dated for the Polish campaign with dates from September all the way through early 1940. It is just like the French campaign - all sorts of documents were processed from June 1940 through the winter of 1941.

Comment

an Adjutant to 10.Schutz Brigade,
                    in Afrika he got DKiG.
                    Attached Files

Comment

the soldbuch
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X